Can't remove Foxit entries from registry

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jillyfish, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Jillyfish

Jillyfish Private E-2

I downloaded Foxit Reader 6 and did a custom install so I wouldn't get a 3rd party toolbar, but somehow I missed opting out and ending up downloading Safe Search and Open Candy, (but no toolbar at least).

I've spent the morning trying to remove it. I believe I have removed all of it, including Foxit too.

BUT when I open up CCleaner and go to the Applications tab, I still see an entry for Foxit Reader 6. I've searched my files for Foxit and found nothing.

I searched my registry by regedit and found an entry for it:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    MIME
    Database
    Content Type
    application/PDF

(Default) REG_SZ FoxitReader.Document
    CLSID REG_SZ {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000}
    Extension REG_SZ .pdf

Can I safely delete the entry from my registry?
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium

Thanks in advance, Jillyfish

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

3. Jillyfish

Jillyfish Private E-2

Thanks for the tip, I did as you suggested, but it didn't help...the Foxit 6 entry is still listed in CCleaner and is still in my registry. I'm tempted to just delete the entry out of my registry, but I'm over my head! and don't want to ruin my OS. Any ideas? Can I just delete the registry entry?

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Might be easier to down load Foxit again so you have the complete program, then use Revo Uninstaller to clean up the mess.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

CCleaner uses the following registry entries to detect the presence of Foxit Reader:
    Code:
    HKCU\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
    HKCU\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 6.0
    HKCU\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 5.0
    For you I assume the relevant entry would be - HKCU\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader 6.0
    :)

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Glancing through this discussion thread again, I see you apparently did not use CCleaner's registry cleaner to try to resolve this problem. Doing so would probably have removed those remnants of Foxit in your registry in the easiest way possible.

8. Jillyfish

Jillyfish Private E-2

A follow up post to my Foxit dilema.

First, thanks to all for the help!

I did try CCleaner registry cleaner and it was no help. I fixed the problem by using Regedit and searching for 'Foxit' in my registry and then deleting the entires. But first I backed up my registry with the built in export option.

What I dislike about Foxit is I did use the Custom install and still got the Conduit and Safesearch junk. Personally I much rather use Adobe reader than any Foxit software. Be careful if you choose to download Foxit.

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Often you will want to search for and delete any Foxit registry item you might find under HKLM/Software as well, and if need be check for Foxit keys under Hot Key Classes Root in the registry as well. I always recheck these locations after letting CCleaner remove registry entries after specific uninstalls. As others have suggested though, some software registry keys will only be found in HKCU/Software. Good luck in the future.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I've had success lately with this sort of uninstall problem by using Iobit Uninstaller in powerful mode. You would need to reinstall Foxit first of course, which you may not want to do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds