Laptop slower than I am

Discussion in 'Software' started by gettinold, Apr 15, 2014.

1. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

As stated in the Title My Laptop is really slow No clue as to what the problem is. Assuming I have issues with what is iin the start menu I have deleted programs, rescanned for viruses and defragged till the cows come home but to no avail.

I believe I read somewhere that you need to know what I have for a Laptop

Yes I still using Windows XP (although it does read Vista capable) Don't think switching untill my issue is resolved will help

Ok

WindowsXP Media Center Edition
    Version 202
    Service Pack 3

Acer System
    AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology MK 36
    797 Mhz 1,87 GB Ram

Not sure what else you need.

I can hit the little green button to start my laptop Come back not quite 1/2 hr later and if I am lucky it will done booting up

Desperately need help

Wendy
    PS Not telling my age

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you have anything plugged in then first try removing it/them and rebooting. If you are using a wireless connection then also try disabling that in Device Manager and rebooting. These things will have to be reconnected later but while hunting for the main culprit disconnect them.

There are almost endless other possibilities here but we have to start somewhere.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Has this been a gradually worsening problem or something that came about in a sudden manner? How large is your hard drive and how much free space is on it?

4. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

I have capacity for 25.2 GB
    Used 21.4
    Free space 3.76

Have deleted programs and ran defrag numerous times. Followed the step stated earlier about one Virus program Running Cccleaner and Reimage Just got worse

It has been a gradual slowing down Only thing new I have done is bought an external hard drive and backed up everything I have on here.

By plugged in I take it you mean like my mouse on the USB?? port That would be it then The only other thing is my power cord.

Oh are you sure ?? I am so nervous and worried bout my laptop Course I can turn it on again if it doesn''t speed things up Right??

Wendy

5. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Found Device Manager but what am I looking for??
    Would it be Modems??

Wendy

6. Earthling

Hi Wendy, it's Network Adapters you want. There will probably only be one shown so right click it and Disable. If more than one then try one and reboot, then re-enable it and try the other. What we are looking for here is an outdated driver that may be causing this prolonged boot.

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , what is the free capacity of your disk ? What is the model of your machine ?

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4588

You can go to
    Start
    Run msconfig
    Ok

At Startup tab you are able to push Disable all - Appy - Ok , afterwards Windows is asking you about restarting your machine , go for it :wave

8. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Thought I posted this already but guess not Oldtimers ya know

I have 25.2 GB
    Used I have 21.4
    Free space is 3.76

Network Adapters are
    Broadcom 80.211g and
    Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet

I know nada about mscondig
    Will try that after the Network adapters

Wendy
    Here goes Later Gulp

9. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Ok 3:40pm Clicked restart button after disabling Broadcom Network adapter

3:54 hasn't loaded anything Can't even use start button. got error
    Scn0Dvis.exe DLL initialization failed
    Failed to initialize because Window station is shutting down

4:04 was able to re-able Broadcom Network 4:07 Clicked restart button

4:16 system up and running

Not sure about disabling Realtek Had a hard time to get back up running again

Wendy

10. Earthling

It's up to you, but there isn't any reason at all why disabling a network adapter would prevent or delay a system from booting. Interesting that the delay is now 12 minutes rather than half an hour, is that a first?

11. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Disabled Realtek Restart clicked at 4:42
    4:45 Welcome screen
    4:48 Loading Windows
    5:06 Up & running

Yes normally takes forever to load and get online

Going to re-able Realtek then follow instructions for msconfig

Wish me luck

Wendy

12. Earthling

Tell us how it went after re-enabling Realtek first.

13. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

RealTelk enabled
    5:20 Restart

5:22 Welcome

5:26 Desktop

5:45 Online

No other error messages

Wendy

14. Earthling

I'll be shutting down shortly but from what you have posted it certainly looks as if the Realtek adapter is contributing to your slow startup. Have a look on the Acer website > Support to see if there is a later driver available. Your disk is probably a factor too as it is too full for satisfactory performance, but 25GB is a very odd size - has the disk been partitioned? Acers often are. If there is a second partition is there plenty of space on it? If so we could walk you through giving C more elbow room.

EDIT - check for later Broadcom driver too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

I have an AcerData: D

Capacity 25.7 GB
    Used 26.2 MB
    Free 25.7 GB

Loads of room but what if it is only what I have in my start menu that is screwing me up Pardon the word

Checking for updates on Network adapters

Wendy

16. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Any free Network Adapters sites out there??

Scan reads I have 28 out dated drivers

Nice Now what

Wendy

17. Earthling

Armed with your model details you will be able to download the latest drivers from your country's Acer website. Don't use 3rd party websites or programs for this or you may cause new problems.

The easiest way to free up some space is to move your "My" folders to D. If that doesn't make any significant difference there is a plan B but more difficult to implement.

18. Earthling

I forgot to answer this. Too much stuff autostarting does indeed slow down startup, but in your case with such a greatly extended startup time it isn't likely to be the primary cause, whereas a bad driver could very well be. However if you want to post your startup list we can take a look at it. Ccleaner is probably the easiest way to do this, via Tools > Startup > Save to text file, and attach the file here.

19. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Don't have a My Folders Have "My documents" which takes 1.27 GB space

Deleted Open Office which had 306 MB but made no difference

Did defrag again and now sit at 3.27 GB and 12% free Less than what i had before

Msconfig loaded with what I don't know Don't begin to know where to start to remove programs it's huge

Wendy

20. Earthling

I said "My" folders, not "My folders", meaning My Documents, My Pictures, My Music and so on. If you move all of those to D that will help.

Install Ccleaner from the link in my last post and follow the instructions I gave you for posting your startup list.

21. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Everything is now going *** backwards Need to use the office PC which is using Windows 7 Have to double check and see if CCleaner downloaded unto laptop. so moving from spot to spot to see what is going on. something about DEP shtu down internet for safety issues.

Can't even get online with it anymore Confusing to say the least

Will have to wait a bit as I have to drive to the city for a DR's app't Will get back to it as soon as I can

Wendy

22. Earthling

A DEP message might indicate a virus. What AV do you have, and is it updated and scanned with regularly?

23. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Babysitting grandkids

Can't answer some questions Definitely a virus Can't post till mayhap Sat or Sunday My Av runs all the time Stops me when it finds a Virus and asks what \ want to do Remove is always the answer. Updated Daily

Wendy

24. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Still can't get online with my laptop. Can't do much of anything with it anymore. Looks like I have AV 2013 but can't update if I can't get online.

Attempting to delete Driver Support from laptop won't let me grrrr

At a loss here. Don't think it would do me anygood to copy over my files at this point My documents take up 1.26 GB My Pictures 955 MB and My Music 727 MB

Now what ?? I'm befuddled

Wendy

25. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Done for now Can't even get Task manager to shut down

26. Earthling

As XP has now passed its end of life (April 8), and given the difficult situation you have with the laptop, and the absence of any system backups, I can't see you have much choice but either to get someone to install a new operating system on it or to replace it. Installing a different operating system does require to be done be someone competent. Spending good money to keep an XP system going doesn't make much sense to my mind.

27. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

28. gettinold

gettinold Private E-2

Appreciate the assistance and will take it to Northern Computers

Any suggestions for an OS system. I have Windows 7 on this one

Do I need to post a new thread to get someone to look at my Registry to see what should or sshould not be there?

Wendy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds