problem?

Discussion in 'Software' started by rabboni, Apr 21, 2014.

1. rabboni

rabboni Private E-2

I just got through getting some fabulous help from YOU GUYS, THANKS.

I use XP, I hear its outdated and there is no more updates available or something... Do I need to change to another?

Also my Windows Media wont play this options trading DVD, DVD decoder is not installed, they want me to buy one. How can I get around this?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Haha - this is like a Londoner in 1940 saying 'why are there all these German aeroplanes in the sky, is there some sort of problem?'

XP reached end of life on April 8. Read Adrynalyne's sticky

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=284995

There are significant risks with continuing with XP on the internet so think about moving on to 7 or 8.

3. rabboni

rabboni Private E-2

gotcha, the aeroplanes were not dropping translantion invitations to the ball either.
    So do I need to purchase 7 or 8 somewhere?
    Which 1 is more user friendly, as MG can see thats the 1 I Really need,

4. Earthling

You may be able to install Win 7 on your computer but you need first to run the Microsoft upgrade advisor to check this out.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=20

I doubt you would find Windows 7 boxed version in the stores as it's all Windows 8.1 now, though I would be surprised if it isn't easily available online. 7 is an easier transition than 8.1 for most XP users.

You may also be advised here to try a Linux distro, as it is free and very likely to work on older systems. Leave that to you.

5. rabboni

rabboni Private E-2

Hello Earthling,
    If I download windows 7 will I lose any information I have saved, will it be faster than xp, I still have to wait 25- 60 seconds for an icon to open after I double click on it from my desk top

6. Earthling

The best advice I can offer is that you read THIS thoroughly and then see how you feel about it. It isn't a simple click click procedure at all and it carries risks of losing data unless the procedure is followed correctly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds