Inspiron 8100 fan wont turn off

Discussion in 'Software' started by eddieeffg, Aug 16, 2004.

1. eddieeffg

eddieeffg Private E-2

This is my first post. I've gotten lots of good information here before (voyeuristically) and hope that someone here knows how to fix my problem.

The fan in my computer has come on and doesnt turn off. When I restart the computer the fan is off and stays off until (not sure).

The only restart Ive done, so far, the fan was off for a while, when I came back to my office the screensaver was running and the fan was on. It hasnt shut off yet, that was a couple hours ago. I will restart the computer after I post this and leave the screensaver off for a while (keep ya posted).

In the meantime do any of you know why the fan would come on and stay on?

Thank you,
    Eddie

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

it could be gunk in the fan that keeps it from going on... or the 12v rail is near dead, but that can't be the case or else your computer won't work. anyhow, i recommend you clean out that fan and put a dab of motor oil in the bearings (behind the sticker). If that doesn't do anything, i'd just get a new fan from your local computer store.

3. eddieeffg

eddieeffg Private E-2

The fan comes on OK, it comes on after an hour or two depending on how much I'm using the computer, but then it wont turn off.

The fan just stays on until I restart the computer.

4. Kaotic

Kaotic Private E-2

To me it sounds as if the computer is struggling to keep itself cool. Either dust has collected inside the case or the screen saver leaves too much of a load on the computer. Instead of using a screen saver you could set the computer to go into a stand by mode. This should cut down on the CPU. memory, and video usage when you are away from the computer. It works on the same principle as a screen saver, but in my opinion it is a lot easier on a system. To setup stand by mode head to the control panel and double click "power options" . From here you can set it to what ever you desire. You may still hear the fan, but it should be much quieter because it will not have to run at such a high rpm to keep the system cool. If you are really annoyed and your computer is still under warranty, send it in and have it cleaned.

5. eddieeffg

eddieeffg Private E-2

This thing is wierder by the minute.

I set the screensaver to come on after about 800 minutes, then restarted. - about an hour later the fans had come on again and did not shut off for atleast 30 minutes so I restarted and they went off. - so I dont think it's related to the screensaver.

The wierd part is this; I had changed the system setting that morning to automatically check for updates and was wondering whether that had anything to do with this, but didn't believe that it could. This morning I reset the system so I have to manually check for updates. I have had the computer running since about 9am and have not noticed that the fans have been on at all, which is the norm for this laptop, I almost never notice that the fans are on.

Go figure

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds