Installing Linux 10.1 i586

Discussion in 'Software' started by skypeeMKMair, Jan 17, 2007.

1. skypeeMKMair

skypeeMKMair Private E-2

Hello
    I have win98se, what is a quick simple freeware hard drive partitioning application for this, do you install Linux from DOS and what file activates it?
    msg me via my website email thx. :cool

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Are you referring to Mandrake 10.1?

The newest version is found here

It is a boot CD that you can then install to your hard drive.

3. skypeeMKMair

skypeeMKMair Private E-2

It is Linux 10.1 SUSE i586, do i partition the hard drive first, I have looked for install file, what starts the download to HD? I want to use skype with this.

4. erikske

erikske Sergeant

If you still have to download it, the latest version is openSUSE 10.2. As a rule of thumb, always use the BitTorrent method when downloading such large files.

To install, you need to boot from the DVD (or CD 1). Easy way: insert the DVD when windows is running and reboot with the DVD still in the drive. If your BIOS is set correctly, it should boot the DVD. You should get a nice looking blue screen. Select 'Installation' and press enter. The YaST installer is now loaded. openSUSE is fairly easy to install and comes with a partitioning tool, so you don't need to do this up front.
    It's a good idea to defragment the destination drive before installing. If you don't defragment the installer might not be able (it will throw a nasty error at you) to resize the partition so Linux can fit on it.
    If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've installed SUSE a lot, so i'm very familiar with the procedure.

5. skypeeMKMair

skypeeMKMair Private E-2

What is the procedure for installing Linux Skype to use with 10.1 i586?
    I cannot get the music system to play files on hard drive on the above system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds