Multiple delivery of the same email(s) in Outlook using POP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by ykfuller, Feb 28, 2006.

1. ykfuller

ykfuller Private E-2

I am using Outlook XP (2002) SP3 with Windows XP. Our ISP is through a DSL and we also use Sonic Wall with Managed VirusScan (McAfee).

About 6 months ago one of our users started to receive duplicate emails in outlook. Sometimes they would be received twice, sometimes they would receive the same email message over 100 times. Sometimes the message is spam, sometimes it is a legit email from one of our clients.

On the email server, the message appears only once, therefore outlook is downloading the message more than one time.

Since that time, the issue has started to happen to everyone at the office, which is 4 users networked on a LAN.

I’ve found that unchecking the “leave a copy of the message on the server” has helped the problem, but by doing this we are unable to view our emails when away from the office.

I have created a new profile for outlook, the problem still exists. I have increased server timeouts to 5 minutes.

I’ve talked with our DSL provider, Sonic Wall and contacted Microsoft. No one seems to have a solution.

In a posting on Microsoft Technet they discussed outlook not updating its “internal index”“
    If the server terminates the download process (for whatever reason), Outlook does not update it's "internal index" and proceeds to download the messages AGAIN during the next Send/Receive cycle. Not sure if Rules that move the messages to another folder affect or worsen the problem.” ​
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/co...&p=1&tid=d039f99a-2a3e-488c-96ad-5e7c4aba1041

Yesterday I had a computer tech consultant come to the office and he couldn’t figure out the problem either and suggested setting up our emails using IMAP instead of POP3. I am testing this option as a work around.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    [/COLOR]

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Myself, I've only encountered anything like this in two situations (you've probably checked these, but haven't mentioned that you have, so I mention it now)

1. There is forwarding enabled on the accounts. If the same message were to be sent to an account that is receiving forwards from another account that this message is sent to, multiple copies appear.

2. Outlook is configured to receive mail from more than one POP3 account. For example, we have a user whos Outlook receives mail for supervisors@[I]domain.com[/I] and username@[I]domain.com[/I], if someone were to send a message to both those addresses, the user would receive multiple copies.

Probably not of much help, but it pays to make sure you're not overlooking anything.

3. ykfuller

ykfuller Private E-2

No that's not it, but I appreciate the response.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds