Cpu turns off and on by itslef, wont boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hesosmoove, Dec 8, 2009.

1. hesosmoove

hesosmoove Private E-2

Hey,

I could use some major help. I read post of people having the same problem but non quite helped me. Please someone advise me if this is a simple problem or should i take it to the shop.

I use to keep my cpu on 24/7. one day it was just making noise, sounded like the power supply. so i shut the cpu down and let it rest. I also turned everything off.

The next day I turnt the power from the surge on , the cpu turned itsself on. I didnt even hit the power button. It tried to boot then turned off. Tried agian and again. finally it went to the windows screen then shut done again

I thought mabe it was the power supply, so i replaced it with the same type.Turnt the surge on ; once again it turned itself on and went off.

At this point I'm so confused. I'm not super hip to cpu but is this simple, or do i need to take it top the shop. If i do take it to the shop what do i tell them , and how do I aviod getting robed ..lol..but if its simple to fix let me know

Thanks,
    Dave

Windows vista

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

From the description I take it this is not a laptop?

There are a number of possible reasons for this behaviour, from a faulty windows update to dirty contacts on the memory or fans to faulty memory to faulty motherboard to a burned out processor.

You say you replaced the psu, how clean was it inside?
    How confident are you about working inside a pc?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since you installed a new power supply, my thought is the motherboard has failed. Faulty capacitors commonly cause the symptoms you're describing. Normal healthy capacitors look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Leaking/popped capacitors look like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sometimes bad capacitors won't actually have the crud leaking out the top as in the pics above, but if the top of the capacitor is not PERFECTLY flat, then it is failing. Even a very, very slight 'popped' top is bad news.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds