Windows XP Logon/Logoff loop - can't start in safe or recovery mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by jsnowash, Jan 27, 2010.

1. jsnowash

jsnowash Private E-2

I'm experiencing major problems with my computer - a Dell Dimension Desktop (circa 2005) running Windows XP Professsional.

Last week I realized I had picked up multiple viruses/malware on the computer. Something disabled the firewall without me realizing it until it was too late....

I attempted running a couple of malware removal tools to clean up the computer (malwarebytes, spybot, & SAS). SAS was the last program I ran.

Now when I start up the computer, it appears to boot normally until it reaches the login screen (there are 5 users - all have passwords). When I try to log on to any user account, I am logged in very briefly, just long enough to see the desktop wallpaper, then logged right back off again.

I've tried starting in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt and the same thing happens.

I've attempted to use the windows installation CD that came with the computer to boot in recovery mode, but the computer doesn't seem to detect the CD, and boots as described above. I tried making a bootable floppy, but that didn't work either.

The last thing I tried was re-ordering the boot sequence from the start-up menu (1. floppy 2. cd 3. hard drive) but it still goes straight to the hard drive, and into the login/logout loop.

I'm afraid the only option left may be to try to restore the computer to its original settings. I did back up files earlier this week when I realized the computer was infected. I didn't back up EVERYTHING, but at least I have the most important stuff (photos, music, documents, etc). Can anyone suggest any solution that doesn't result in having to reset the computer and loose everything?

Thanks for your help!!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds