new user-looking for dyi information

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by rmthurman, Jun 4, 2010.

1. rmthurman

rmthurman Private E-2

i am one of those people thats tired of hauling their computer to the shop every other month to get it running again. i've already gotten several helpful tips from this site. a have alot of questions though, so i thought i'd register. tia

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Welcome to MG!

No reason to go to the computer shop anymore.

I'm sure you'll find your answers right here! :)

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Welcome Rmthurman!! All I can say is that if you need help with a 'puter' you're in the right place!! There are so many knowledgeable people here at MGs you shouldn't have any problem getting the answers you need;) Just a word of advice, when you do run into a problem and you post it in either the hardware, or software, forum always give your OS, make and model of your machine and, of course, the problem your having. By doing that, it will speed up the 'healing' process!!:-D I noticed you already posted in the Malware Forum about your virus protection. Only the Malware Killers can answer your question in that forum, but by the nature of your question, since Avast already got rid of the problem for you, you could have posted that in the software forum. It takes time, but you'll learn your way around;) No problem!! However, since I'm here, you should only run ONE AV program and since I have used Avast Free for a few years now with NO problems whatsoever, I can recommend Avast as a primary AV program. Personally, I'd uninstall 'McAffee' and run Avast. Good Luck!! And, again, welcome to MGs!!!

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

5. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Thanks Brandypeppy!! I forgot about that McAfee uninstaller:-o

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

My God, every other month!! The cost man, the COST!!!:eek

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

The other thing you can to to stop infections is change your habits.
    Don't click yes, don't believe that free game is free - ads & malware may sponser it.
    Be a little leary of every link.
    You are the first line of defense with your 'puter.
    Run a good antivirus (good luck when you ask what is the best AV :p)
    Run a firewall
    Run MS & AV updates frequently (automated is better)
    Run a second AV from a boot disk occasionly. (http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/)
    this list could go on....but that will start.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds