JetBoost. Any good?

Discussion in 'Software' started by CrazyCanuck, Oct 27, 2011.

1. CrazyCanuck

CrazyCanuck Private E-2

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

I've installed it on 2 systems, and in each it reported a 40% increase in speed, which made me suspicious. I can't tell that there's the slightest improvement on either system - one of them might even be slower. It's definitely coming off that one...

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I use it on my hp running xp and I do notice an increase in speed, nothing enormous, but an increase all the same.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for this post. I now have this running with GBoost and ProcessLasso...both the others very similar type programs...just to see what will happen.

Seems to be working pretty well. JetBoost shuts down some things GBoost doesn't, while Process Lasso is more of a pure process manager.

Don't know if this is dangerous on the security level, but I am very confident it won't hurt hardware. Anyone with any insight there, it would be welcomed...

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I personally prefer to manually shut down or stop start items and services that I don't use, but the pc i'm running JetBoost is for testing those types of software, but I choose to keep JetBoost on it because it seems to have a positive affect on that system. Hope that helped buddy. :)

7. AtlBo

Maybe one thing to think about here?

JetBoost shuts down a large number of Windows processes. I started it and ran it for awhile, and it seemed to be helping the mouse pointer along some. I started a game, and everything seemed normal.

Then the machine froze. Nothing would work, so I pulled the plug and restarted. I got a message in Windows on reboot that the System Configuration Utility mode had been set for some purpose other than normal boots and to reset it to normal mode. Anyway, I went in and reset it, but while I was in there I noticed all the programs on the machine were set to run on start up. Also, Windows updates were turned off (not the firewall though). I got all that fixed, rebooted, and everything is/appears normal again. Usually I can tell when there is a problem.

This is totally preliminary. Only used the program for like 45 minutes, but GBoost is much simpler and accomplishes much the same thing. Might be worth a look for some. Other than that, I would say watch out when using JetBoost for anything that would cause you to have to reboot without shutting down/reverting JB. Apparently, there could be some side effects when/if that happens.

Maybe this is something the JetBoost developers could look into. The fix for me was simple enough true, but it's just that it was caused by a freeze. That makes me wonder if some more research should go into which Windows resources to shut down...

I like it in concept for sure...

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I did click custom and checked/unchecked the options I wanted,and restore is simple to achieve, but unless you really need software like this, I would stay away from these kind of utilities if you have a choice or like I prefer, manually pick and choose myself.

9. AtlBo

This is getting a LOL from me.

I ran it with 4 processes checked only (out of all the categories). One of them was an HP process for the monitor found in the Non-Windows Services area of JB. Well that one dealt a blow to the graphics. All the sudden I had 2 wallpapers and the desktop didn't fit the screen. Anyway, I trimmed it all the way down to one process, realsched, which I KNOW doesn't do anything. I fired it up and still it said I'm 8% better off. I seriously, think it does some things by default, so I'd say it's probably true, because things seem better with it on.

Turned on GBoost after turning on JetBoost, and GB started normally. GB seems to be reporting the same results as before when it comes to gains. I think there are slight differences in the two, meaning that I guess they could both be helping.

I can't say I would use this to turn off anything on my machine, but, even then it seems to be helping...

If you have a freeze and have to restart before shutting down JetBoost, if there are check marks in any of the Custom areas, be prepared for some trouble...

10. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Not sure what you're getting at my friend but JB, and GB are being used by me and I'm having no problems, and thanks for the tip on GB.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds