W32.Swen.A@mm will not let me execute any programs.

Discussion in 'Software' started by cranky old lady, Jun 23, 2004.

1. cranky old lady

cranky old lady Private E-2

I am using XP Home.

I found MG while seeking a way to get rid of a pesky parasite (lop M3 or the HuntBar/BTIn), but now have a bigger problem and that's on the back burner.

I purchased Norton's AntiVirus 2004 and when I installed it there was a fleeting error message that there was a problem and then it went to completion and told me the installation was a success. That message was "Memory access violation in module kernal 32 at 9576:89435344".

Success does not hold the same meaning to me. After that time, I could not execute any program (I hope I am using the correct terminology). Whenever I clicked on a desktop icon, most of my Start Menus and what programs in the Program Menu I have attempted to open, and when I have managed to get into Windows Explorer through Search or Run->Browse.

For instance, when I attempted to open WE by right clicking the Start button the message was "Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE. Usually, its "Windows cannot find C;|Documents and Settings\...", or "Windows can not find C:\Program Files\Common Files\...". Then it suggests that I haven't typed the name correctly, to try again. Where would I type such a request, in RUN?

I went to Symantec to scan and find if there was a virus and found that there were three (3) infected locales: Two began with C:\RECYCLER\S 1-55-21-1...and ended with Dc5.exe is infected with W32.Swen.A@mm, and Dc6.exe is infected with W32.SWEN.A@mm. The third is C:\Documents and Settings\meredith1\My Documents\fordulg.com is infected with W32.Swen.A@mm. BTW I would have like to have been told to do that first before installing the Anti-Virus which should have prevented to problem, don't you think!

I downloaded W32.Swen.A@mm Removal Tool on the Symantec web site...and guess what? I can't execute it. Can I do so in the root drive of C and use it from there? I can't open DOS command prompt though. How else can you do this in XP? I can not open the Registry either. Is there something I can do or should I give up and take it in to the man to put it together for me? I would like to give it a try, if someone has the patience to work with me. I use to be comfortable with basic DOS commands and am semi-computer literate, at the low end anyway.

Thanks MM

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok.

Open My Computer.

Go to Tools, Folder Options.

Click on the View tab.

Uncheck "Hide Extensions For Known Filetypes"

Click OK.

Now look where you downloaded the swen removal tool.

Right Click, rename.

change the .exe extension to .cmd

Hit ENTER key.

Now run the tool.

3. cranky old lady

Thank you. Thank you! Everythings working once again. Just in time too, because last night after fooling with it I received a message that had two words on it "A Pro". Do you the cpu was sending a desperate plea for help for expert help?<g>

I had tried to change the extension to the swenn removal tool before but it ended up reading .cmd.exe and it wouldn't execute. I downloaded it again to a floppy on A drive and used RENAME and ended up with the same extension. Today I went to the one saved on the Desktop and just erased the .exe at the end of it, leaving the cmd extension name and it worked like a charm. Now, back to the pesky toolbar! Thanks again, Marti

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Quite welcome :)

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Don't forget to disable System Restore and reboot to dump any infected restore points. Then enable it only when you're sure your system is clean. And empty your Recycle Bin.

6. cranky old lady

(unable to get online to continue with board - using another computer)

oops!

i didnt do that - when i rebooted (before your reply) message said - some files missing from windows.

i couldnt get to a point to re install windows i could only get to the login user window then i went to F8... safe mode is not what it was like 98. at one on F8 i was able to reinstall windows but the modem didnt connect to microsoft.

i ended back at the login window.

i tried again thru F8 - error message and code OX800B4005

is it hopeless now?

thanks for your help.........

7. cranky old lady

Thank you for your response. I have been offline now nearly 2 weeks and unable to get to another computer. My daughter left that message for me and if that was a No-No, I apologize. I have chronic health problems and couldn't get over there to use her computer to contact you or the sysops. Do you all use that term here?

After following Adrynalyne's advice, the cpu seem to be working just fine. I know I needed to reinstall IE and XP Home, but I wanted to see if I could get rid of those pesky parasites; HuntBar/B/tin and Stoolbar or the lop m3. I had downloaded some removal instructions from "and.doxdesk.com" and was continue my search manually. Nothing I typed in was found, but there were other things to try.

For some reason I had to reboot and when I did, I got the message "Some files are missing from Windows...or something like that." After that I just went in circles usually at the User Window. I call it that as it is where the User names are protrayed. I had never seen it before. From there I would get the message that it wanted to 'initiatilized the disc. This worked some time before but never did right then. There was no way I knew to get to Drive D to reinstall XP Home Ed.

So I booted up and used F8. At one time I thought I had reinstalled XP, but again it would not initialize the disc. No matter what I always came back to the Blue User Logon Window. I also tried to get to the Prompt as I was booting up, but outside of clicking the Enter button I didn't know what I was suppose to be doing there. I tried that one more time, instead of going in the innards of C-Moss and it booted up as usual and when asked to initialized it one more time, this time it worked. Up came the Blue User Log-on WINDOW, which I would like to eliminate and open to Desktop as I was doing. Now, I'm afraid to do anything until I get some suggestions from this site. Should I do the System Restore step as you suggested first.

I feel I need to get rid of the parasite(s) first and reinstall XP Home Ed and IE. Does anyone have any suggestions? I will post the parasite question in that Forum and hopefully someone can help me out here? There is so much I need to do. I was having 'online withdrawal' and came back online just in time,.

Thank you and I apologize for the long post. not so cranky right now. Marti

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds