Websites with HTTP not opening in IE6 on XPSp2, but HTTPS,FTP opening up.

Discussion in 'Software' started by musicallife1, Apr 26, 2006.

1. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

What if i cant find HTTP next to URL in Windows Explorer? I have the internet explorer exe as the file type next to URL extension? Its not possible to open any HTTP links using internet explorer 6 on Xp sp2 but https, ftp links open up. Also these open using firefox. Any idea whats wrong here?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Re: Clicking on a link doesn't work.

I suggest you download CCleaner and run it. If you're not familiar with it, they've got a demo feature on their site to familiarize new users with it. And note that the Standard version download file includes Yahoo toolbar, but you can simply avoid installing it by unchecking a box during installation.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Majorgeeks has CCleaner! If running that doesn't work out for you, try the following:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click start --> run)
    2. Type 'regsvr32 urlmon.dll' (without the quotes)
    3. Press enter (or click ok)

This will re-register the dll responsible or URL tracking. It usually does the trick for this sort of problem in IE.

4. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

I tried registering the dlls before itself, however i havent tried using cleaner. What exactly is that? Thanks for the replies:)

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Simply put, CCleaner is a wonder tool. It will clean temp files (its primary use), it will uninstall stubborn programs and it will scan and repair your registry. And you can't beat the price.

6. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

Re: HTTP doesnt open up in IE6, But HTTPS,FTP opens up, using XP-SP2.

CCleaner looks a lil deadly, it wont clean up important files will it? Dont want to risk that:confused: And is it goin to address my problem of http not opening up in IE6, while HTTPS,FTP do?

7. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

Btw, an off topic, Ive just joined this forum. How do i post a new thread? I just replied to a previous thread and started a discussion flowing but would like my own thread..ne help? :)

Please dont reply to this thread..i have started a new one...thks:)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  8. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

I can't seem to open any HTTP sites on XPSp2 though HTTPS and FTP sites open up in IE6 browser. I tried regsrv urlmon.dll and also added sites with HTTP prefix to my trusted sites and tried opening it up. Yet all i get is a blank page even if i click on a link with HTTP prefix and try opening that up. However it works fine in firefox and mozilla browser. Any idea whats goin on here?:confused:

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Your post was de-merged from whichever thread it was in, so I have merged the info you were given into your new thread to keep the relevent info intact for those who have already posted.

10. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

Im using Windows XP, service pack 2. Thanks Halo for merging the 2:)

11. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Re: HTTP doesnt open up in IE6, But HTTPS,FTP opens up, using XP-SP2.

Important files? No. Not unless you are saving important files in temp directories such as %systemroot%\temp or c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp or c:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temporary internet files, which is simply a bad practice that should be avoided ANYWAY.

It could possibly do damage running the registry cleaner, but you should always have a backup when playing there.

12. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

Tried that but it still did not work. Any idea what could possibly be wrong with IE here? Is it some security issue?

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm... perhaps we should try an un/reinstallation. To do so, please do the following:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Double-click 'Add/Remove Programs'
    3. Hit alt+w (or click 'Windows Components')
    4. Uncheck the box next to 'Internet Explorer' and click next.

Windows will now uninstall internet explorer. To re-install, repeat steps 1-3, but place a check next to 'Internet Explorer' this time around. Windows will re-install IE.

If that fails, we could try the IE Fix utility

14. musicallife1

musicallife1 Private E-2

Thanks Mada..will check if that works:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds