Is Google Crome safer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by clevenger, Mar 26, 2010.

1. clevenger

clevenger Private E-2

Recently got hit by a real bad drive-by download virus that came in through firefox. These seem to be getting more common lately, even mainstream sites like "Kevin Kelly's cool tools" had problems with someone sneaking one into their ad-stream lately.

I'm wondering if anyone has found Google Chrome to be any more secure against this sort of thing?

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I don't think one browser is greatly safer than the other. What's more important is having an updated system, antivirus, link scanner, and safe surfing habits.

And be ready at all time to disconnect should you get a virus pop-up warning scam. The last few months has been horrific with this scam, you can run across it almost anywhere, except here of course. :wave:wave:wave

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Not necessarily, there have been many such reports of late of browsers being a route into malware gaining control of a PC, it has ranged from IE being an issue and many govs including the German one saying dont use IE to then this week the same German gov saying dont use Firefox but days later a update was released from Mozilla, its a constant battle.

TBH no browser should be used as security as its not, as soon as you allow a download link then your maybe prone to malware as you have allowed the link, download etc, safe surfing is the only way, know what you are downloading and from where and if using P2P then your have a hightened risk of gaining malware.

Stick with the browser you are happy with and make sure you have adiquate security apps, a good guide is HERE and safe surf, basically know what you are downloading and the risks and know what should be on your PC and what should not, the startups (startup list) is a good indicator as many malwares add startups.

4. clevenger

clevenger Private E-2

Interestingly enough, today I noticed an article about the pwn2own conference. Hackers there broke into fully patched Windows 7 and OSX machines through exploits in IE8, FireFox and Safari!

Apparently, Chrome was the only one they could crack, they found a hole in the browser code but do to Chrome's sandboxing feature were unable to exploit it with a crack.

Think I'll be using Chrome for awhile, still have to watch out for downloading bad files or phishing, but at least for now it sounds like it's safe from "drive-by-download" attacks that got a virus onto my machine the other day.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds