XP keyboard config for Asian characters

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fluffbuggle, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Fluffbuggle

Fluffbuggle Private E-2

Checked older posts and found a request similar to mine. I need to reconfigure my keyboard for Asian characters for my daughter's online Japanese course.

There was a reply to the older thread from Outlawstar15a2:

Anyway this website should help I found this via a forum post on another website apparently it's already copied to the hard drive all you need to do is tell XP to install them.

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Pr...lation_XP.html

Theres the step by step process to follow. If you still need to find the files then I'll see if I can find them Ironically I have a XP CD I don't think this computer will be able to run XP unless I find XP drivers for everything on this computer but I should still be able to to find the files if I can find the CD. If you give me your email address I can make a better suggestion

So here's where I'm at- I tried the link and it gives a walk-thru but after Step 4 it still asks for the XP disc to finish installing the files. I was able to get the language school to email me a zip file, but after unzipping and rebooting....it doesn't work either. I get to the same step (4) and again, it asks for the disc.

My pc was built for me...OEM Windows but it was a multiple license issue and I didn't get any recovery discs for it. The shop that built it went out of business a couple of years ago when the owner fell ill, so no chance of getting a copy at this point.

Any suggestions???? Thanks!
    Fluff

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As far as I can remember you do need to have an XP CD as it needs some files off it, does a friend or neighbour have one you can borrow to just get past this section.

Could try this and when it asks for the CD, see if you can browse to this location C:\i386 (its on your HDD and where most of the XP files on install are kept, but still think the ones you need are one the CD until needed)

As you did a copy and paste of that old post the link is dead so here it is for everyone to read http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&P...pt/Language/asianlanguageinstallation_XP.html

3. Fluffbuggle

Fluffbuggle Private E-2

I've been asking around and even put a plea out on Facebook to borrow a copy but no luck yet. Thanks, I will try browsing the location you listed. It seems like those unzipped files should be somewhere but I can't find where they are hiding.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What was actually in that ZIP file, and where did you unzip it to?

Also, when the installer asks for the Windows disk, doesn't it give you an option to browse to an alternate location?

P.S. the link you gave in your first post is broken; could you specify the correct link? I have a (very old) website that documents how to implement the Japanese IME under Windows XP: http://www2.gol.com/users/pbw/jkeybXP.htm#jpk_ime - I don't remember that the Windows install disk was required for that change.

5. Fluffbuggle

Fluffbuggle Private E-2

Allegedly the files needed to do the reconfig, however, as soon as I click once on the file, it unzips without giving any option where to unzip to, so I have no idea where the files are.

I did get an option to browse an alternate location, however there's a file name already in it (which it won't open) and when I try to browse for the zip file contents, it doesn't even acknowledge the desktop folder that I tried to save it in.

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I don't know how the Windows unzip functionality works (I have always used WinZip), but I think it unzips the files into the folder where the ZIP file resides.

Can you attach that ZIP file in your next post, so I can have a look at it?

7. samtal

samtal Corporal

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Very good links - thank you! The first of them is the one that the OP tried to post, but was broken. Now I see that Step 4 indeed will need the Windows install disk or a location that contains the required East Asian install data.

9. Fluffbuggle

Fluffbuggle Private E-2

Here's what she sent me along with her email instructions, which I followed to no avail. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you need any other info.

Okay, all you should need to do is save this attachment to your computer and then change the name from EastAsianLanguagePack.EXX to EastAsianLanguagePack.EXE

Then double click on it and it will install the language pack for you. Shouldn’t take more than ten or twenty seconds. Let us know if you have any further questions.

I had the same problem with the other links, samtal. They all asked for the disc.

Attached Files:

10. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

11. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

P.S. when you ran that EastAsianLanguagePack.EXE file, didn't it bring up that panel from step 5 after completion?

12. Fluffbuggle

Fluffbuggle Private E-2

No it didn't. Just checked it again, there's no Asian options at all in the list.

I give up...going to check with one of our IT guys at work on Monday and see if he can find the files and fix it for me.

Thanks for everyone who checked into this for me. I really appreciate your efforts!! :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds