Adobe Shockwave player/Adobe Flash Player Activex

Discussion in 'Software' started by Moni, May 5, 2007.

1. Moni

Moni Private E-2

I am having a problem with Adobe Flash Player. I did an uninstall using an uninstaller provided at another forum and a Reboot and a reinstall and Reboot.
    The programs that are on my notebook, XP sp2 that were the New Reinstall are:
    Adobe Shockwave Player Vers. 10.1.4.20
    Adobe Flash Player Activex 9.0.45.0

I am trying to get the Video to work at the following news site (the audio works); the site is:
    http://www.aptn.ca/streaming/

I don't know if I have the whole Adobe Flash Player program or something is missing??

I did the clean reinstall b/c I thought that the existing Flash Player might be corrupt.
    But this has made no change. All I get is a green window and Audio????

I am wondering if anyone has encountered such a problem before??? I simply don't know anything about Adobe or streaming.

Thankyou for your time.

2. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Hi, I have got all the latest software on my notebook too. MediaPlayer, Quicktime, Realplayer, Flash, Shockwave, Firefox, IE, etc, etc.

The video wont work for me on the site either, with FireFox or IE. i think its a problem with the site. Maybee a few others can go on and confirm that. If not im in the same boat! I doubt it though as I dont have any problems with media on any other sites.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

I don't have any problems with the site that Moni posted.I'm curious,do you go to Adobe site to validate your installs for Flash player,or Shockwave?You know that you must validate thru Adobe in order to watch videos on internet.BTW,I have WMP11.

4. Moni

Moni Private E-2

I have fixed the problem, I used the unistaller for Adobe Flash Player and Activex and did a reboot and am able to access the News site and get good audio and video with Windows Media Player 10.

i thought that I should post what has helped me, in the event that others may encounter something similar.

My only query now, is why would I have to install Shockwave? And I don't understand what is meant about validating the program.
    If I really don't need Shockwave I would rather not install it, however if it is a necessary program then I should d/l it with good direction from an experienced user who obviously knows about Adobe validation.

Thankyou for your time and interest.

5. Moni

Moni Private E-2

I have fixed the problem, I used the unistaller for Adobe Flash Player and Activex and did a reboot (so I don't have the program installed now) and am able to access the News site and get good audio and video with Windows Media Player 10.

i thought that I should post what has helped me, in the event that others may encounter something similar.

My only query now, is why would I have to install Shockwave? And I don't understand what is meant about validating the program.
    If I really don't need Shockwave I would rather not install it, however if it is a necessary program then I should d/l it with good direction from an experienced user who obviously knows about Adobe validation. My notebook is used for work, I use it also for backup DVD's, listen to occasional cd's, don't d/l music, however do have a Hauppauge PVR USB2 unit that I use to convert VHS videos to DVD as i have a large library of music concerts on VHS.

BTW, do I really need Adobe Flash Player and if I do or potentially will; how do I go about installing and validating it properly.

I really appreciate the help, many thankyous.

Thankyou for your time and interest.

6. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Sorry for the :crap advice...

No goran I never knew, I downloaded the software from Adobes site however i thought that would be the end. Thanks for that ;)

7. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

8. Moni

Moni Private E-2

I see the exchange of dialogue here, however I am still wondering if I really need to install "shockwave", I guess what I am saying is what enhancement or benefit does it provide? Now or in the future use of my notebook.

As mentioned the news site that I was wanting to watch I presently can after uninstalling Adobe shockwave player and Adobe Flash Player Activex.

And what was mentioned about validation, I really don't understand.

Under what circumstances do I need the Shockwave player and the Activex and what site would i go to to d/l the Player and validate it?

And finally what will be the downside of not installing the Activex?

Sorry for all the questions, however I simply don't understand the software and as you can see I am no techie.
    I try to be careful about what I install lest I cause myself an issue as I did in this case and could not watch the news cast.

I am presuming that this Adobe Shockwave Player is free, is that presumptious?

Kind regards and thankyou for your interest.

9. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Shockwave Player and Flash Player are both free.

Unless there are better versions you pay for, i don think they are though?

Ive spent ages on Adobe`s site trying to figure out what this validation is myself, to no avail. Im also wondering what you mean Goran?

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

First of all,when I say "validate" I mean to see if your install of Flash Player is OK.Go to Adobe Site click to install player,then it will prompt you to install active x (active x is for watching video files on internet,cos you can't watch video without active x,thats why you see on google video or youtube-"you don't have flash player,install it from this site,and give you the link to Adobe).Flash is a common format for games, animations, and GUIs embedded into web pages.As for Shockwave I didn't say that you must DL,it's if you want to.Shockwave was designed for making a wide variety of online movies and animations, its actual use has become concentrated in the area of game development.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_Flash_Player

11. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Quite a few web sites use flash, seems mostly for advertising. Some Web Browsers allow you to allow or deny flash use by a web site. This is really good if your computers processor is slow (less than 1 GHz) as pages will load a lot faster. Shockwave I have had installed, but not recently. Some sites will show you a different ad if you don't, or won't install flash. Active X is the bane of Windows. And if you don't run Internet Explorer ( or have gutted it from your Windows OS) and still want to update Windows, you can with many alternative web browsers (K-Meleon, Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Netscape)
    @
    http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/
    Windows updates aren't available as quickly here as at Windows/ Microsoft update,
    but their plugin is not an Active X control.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds