Looking for Network Controller Driver for Acer TravelMate 2480

Discussion in 'Software' started by cgm707, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgm707

cgm707 Private E-2

I think I'm in over my head :( I'm not a techie, but I nervously reformatted my laptop because of some problems I was having.

The laptop originally came with Windows Vista when I bought it about 2 years ago, but I had XP put on it right away. I do have the certified Windows XP CD which is what I used to format the laptop, but I don't have drivers saved anywhere.

Anyway, the only remaining problem under Device Manager is Network Controller. I have tried several drivers recommended to me in other forums. I put the driver on a flash stick, insert it into the problem laptop, copy the driver into a desktop folder called Drivers, and hit the Setup application icon. After checking that I agree to the License Agreement, I hit Next, and then the box disappears.

I have the Local Area Connection icon with a red x through it. I need the regular wireless connection icon. I have 2 other computers in my house on the same wireless network and they are working fine. The problem laptop doesn't use a cable plugged into it for the wireless connection.

I don't know if it is of any help, but here is some detailed info on my Acer TravelMate 2480:

Don't know if this is of any help, but here's more info on the laptop setup:

Attached Files:

• Log.txt
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

3. cgm707

cgm707 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

I've looked at the link you gave me as well as another Acer driver download page. I've tried the wireless drivers and I still have a yellow ? by the Network Controller and not able to detect my wireless modem. As I mentioned before, the other computers in my home are not having any problem with the wireless connection.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

From what I can tell, there 3 different possible wireless adapters in your laptop. We really need to know exactly which adapter it is. Download and run Unknown Devices and right click on the Network Adapter, click Device Details, then post the info it provides. There should be a long cryptic VEN number that looks like this: VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_23071565 etc etc. (Obviously, your numbers will be different from these, but the format will be similar)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds