problems with xp and lexmark printer

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluejeanangel, Mar 11, 2004.

1. bluejeanangel

bluejeanangel Private E-2

need help with xp and lexmark conflict

I have windows me, I am getting ready to go to xp. When I started it, it said that there is a conflict with my printer/scanner etc. The program in xp showed it as lexmark3100 and so does the book that came with it. But the printer says P3150 Prin Trio Photo.
    Anyway, I have no clue how to begin or what to do. I found a lexmark site, with downloads, had no clue what to do. Can anyone help me with this? Then I will go to question # 2, if i do a clean install i will lose java with windows me, I am disabled and love playing cards at gaming sites such as yahoo....keeps me busy. How and where can i get the java I will need.?
    3. How much dif is there between clean install and just upgrade?
    4.I have kapersky, i get it online download virus detector, how can i keep from getting a virus before I download it on a clean install?
    Thank you

2. bluejeanangel

bluejeanangel Private E-2

I want to upgrade from me, to xp, when I started it shows a conflict with lexmark 3100, my book that cam e with it also says 3100, but my prin Trio Photo says P3150 on top of it. Anyway, I have to do something, to make it compatible before I load xp. I went to lexmark site, and its all over my head, do i download patch? utilities? drivers? and for what 3100? and why? I need step by step guidance pz....I am a comp dummy

3. acejones

acejones A Different Title

XP is completely different than ME. Chances are, XP has built in drivers for your printer. So if you load XP, it will automatically detect your printer and install the correct driver for it.

4. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

I see you have posted in the driver forum as well but ill answer your questions here as Windows says 3100 that cover the whole series of models so the software you require is here
    http://www.lexmark.com/channel/frameset/home/0,6358,252735_2461_0_en,00.html

As for Java heres the link for Sun Java
    http://java.sun.com/

As for your Anti-virus download the set-up file before installing XP then if you havbe a cd writer burn all three things + maybe any stuff you wish to keep from your old install (pictures files etc) onto a cd-r ready to install once you have windows up and running

Yes its always better to go with a clean install rather than an upgrade

Edit: as Ace said XP will have native drivers for your printer this download includes all the extra stuff you may or may not use

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds