tablet help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jerkyking, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I was looking to get a Nook Color but I understand its simply a tablet and I could save some money or get a slightly better tablet for around the same price. I have some experience with an iPad (1st version) but don't want to spend that much to primarily read eBooks, but I'm sure it will see its time surfing the web.

Since it will mainly be used to read I was thinking about a 7 inch tablet. WiFi would be good enough.

What are the pros/cons of Honeycomb vs HP WebOS 3?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Honestly, if you want to read a lot of ebooks, a reader would be MUCH better. I got the travel size Sony Reader a few months ago, and LOVE it. No wifi, etc. but it's design is to read, nothing more. I personally think it's much better than Amazon's Kindle, since the Sony has a touch screen (you can swipe your finger to "turn the page", etc.), minimal buttons, more versatile with file formats, etc.

The advantage of a reader is that it's not backlit (much easier on the eyes for reading books), plus the battery lasts for a week or two of reading without recharging.

I honestly didn't think they were that great until I got one (it was a Father's Day gift). I instantly fell in love with it. Just my two cents.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I found the sony reader to slow when 'reading' reference material.
    Page flipping took forever. I got an Ipad2 and it smokes.
    So if your just reading books, the Sony is a great reader for the reasons mcsmc stated, my GF had hers for a while, but it has been replace by the Ipad2.

As far as the o.p., I haven't heard anything comparing these yet.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds