help connecting 2 PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I made a mistake by posting this in hardware earlier:eek:

OK this might be a dumb ask but i have no idea how to connect 2 computers.

what it is i have a desktop PC with a quad processor that i am using in folding @ home and i also have a laptop that i would like to connect to my internet and also to folding (nothing else)

i am using Devolo not a router to connect to the internet (my router got hacked once) so can i put a splitter in the Ethernet cable or will i need to buy another adapter from Devolo.

Any ideas are very welcome

this is Devolo
    http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

A little more info would be helpful BILL.
    What model of modem do you have? Does it have router capabilities?
    Do you want the laptop in a separate room or adjacent to your desktop?
    Does your desktop have dual lan capability? (Does it have 2 connections for ethernet cables in other words?)
    Do you want to be able to access the internet at the same time with both computers?

On folding with the laptop, is it a newer laptop and do you intend to fold 24/7 with it? A cooler might be beneficial if you run 100%.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

sorry, i am connected direct to a digital cable modem (supplied by my server for tv/telephone and internet) via the Devolo, i am able to connect a router (but do not want to) i have 3 D link routers.
    the laptop does have 2 telephone jacks but 1 is bigger than the other,
    it's sitting next to my desktop and i do want to access the internet with both at the same time (the laptop just for folding@home)

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

The larger port is for ethernet cable connections.
    If your desktop has 2 of the larger ports, you could connect the laptop to the desktop with an ethernet cable and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop.
    This will allow the laptop to access the internet through the desktop. The desktop will have to be powered up to allow this. No need for another Devolo adapter.

XP ICS
    Vista ICS

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

no it only has 1 ethernet connection

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You could possibly use a USB to ethernet adapter.
    USB connection at desktop - ethernet cable - laptop
    (I have never used 1 of these so can't vouch for how effective they are.)
    Newegg examples

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

thanks for your time and help i think i will go to the local pc shop and see what they have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds