USB device won't install, Windows says the driver is invalid.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rovelius, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Rovelius

Rovelius Private E-2

Well, this a problem I've been having for a very long time. I went on various forums looking for help... without success. So here am I posting this problem of mine, hoping you guys will find the answer.

I have 2 devices that won't install. They are :

1. Adaptec GameBridge 1410/1510. It's a USB TV Tuner I bought at GameStop a while ago. It used to work 100% before I formatted my PC. Now when I install the driver off the CD that came with in the package, it says this :

[​IMG]

2. A small, external all-in-one flash card reader. I bought it just for the SD card reader... I can plug the device alone and Windows detect it. But as soon as I insert the SD card in it and double-click the reader in My Computer, the whole explorer.exe process hangs until I remove the card. It then says "Please insert something in J:"

Both of these devices work perfectly fine on my mom's, sister's and friend's computers so the culprit really is my PC. I tried :

Full MBAM scan in Safe Mode, chkdisk, running SFC /SCANNOW, SmartDefrag, CCleaner, ComboFix, I tried a bunch of driver scanners and none of them saw anything.

My PC is a HP Compaq dc7100 with a Pentium4 3.2Ghz, 2Gb of DDRAM and a GeForce 8400 GS.

So, in hope that anyone will have an idea... thanks in advance folks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I take it you are using Windows XP, have to ask just in case you're using a themed skin for another version of Windows. Also what Service Pack version are you using, perferable version is SP2 or SP3, so if not at those please update.

As you have formatted and re-installed Windows, in Device Manager please name all the items which have yellow ! marks next to them, I know some maybe these devices, but I'm looking for possibly any mising Chipset drivers as in the majority of instances, you need the chipset driver installed.

It also maybe a good itea to download and re-install the Chipset driver anyhow and then try these drivers again, took a wild stab at your version of PC in the DC7100 being this one HERE

Also try this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810882

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds