Virtual Device Driver error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strange Old Brew, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Strange Old Brew

Strange Old Brew Private E-2

Earlier today, I had my computer running as I always do. I left the room for about 15 minutes, and returned to find a blue screen. I don't remember everything written on the screen, but I do remember one line said something to the effect of "If this is your first time seeing this message, restart your system now." Another line said that if I had recently installed any new software or hardware, I should check it out. I haven't installed anything new in the last 2 weeks. At the bottom, it also read "Beginning physical memory dump." I restarted my system, and I began hearing a loud clicking noise followed by a very loud screeching noise. My first thought was that it was my hard drive. About 5 minutes after rebooting, the blue screen appeared again with the same message. At this point, I called the company that handles the warranty, and explained the situation. The system was going wild by now, clicking and screeching extremely loud. Then, something weird happened. The tech asked me to move the system to see if the fan in back was running. I moved it, and ever since that time, the screeching and clicking just stopped. It's been quiet now for the last 8 hours or so. I have absolutely no idea what happened, but out of that I discovered something else.

During our conversation, the tech had me run the command prompt "mem/d." The first time around, it popped up a message related to Symantec, which I uninstalled about 2 weeks ago. He told me that is probably why I was getting the blue screen. I used a registry cleaner, and completely wiped out any remnants of Symantec. Now, when I run the same command prompt, I get this message:

"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers. VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Chose 'close' to terminate the application."

Can someone explain what this is, and if it needs to be repaired and how I'd go about doing that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds