DVD drive not recognising DVD's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ITgirl, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi

My DVD/CD RW drive is not writing to DVD's. I can write a CD and play DVD's. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance as always. I am running Windows XP SP3. The drive is a LG Super Multi DVD RW Rewritable drive. I have visited a friend today who's DVD drive is not working as well. Does anyon know of any issues with a Windows Update?

2. 2twiztid

2twiztid Private E-2

You may wish to try this solution.

Disclaimer: As stated on the above page, editing your registry does require a certain amount of caution - please follow the instructions meticulously.

-Twisted

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the model? There are too many super multi dvd rws on the LG site for me to guess what you have.
    I want to see if there is a newer driver.

The MS site probably isn't a good match for you because a) the optical drive is not missing from your computer and b) it does burn CDs and reads DVDs so it is partially working.

If it did not read DVDs, I would have suspected the laser was gone.

4. 2twiztid

2twiztid Private E-2

This is true, also. But in reference to the MS site - my burner had this same issue and the KB entry resolved it.

-Twisted

5. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi,

The drive is an internal LG 16X Super Multi DVD/CD Rewriter. The model is GSA-4167B. I should have included this previously. Thanks for your help.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is a firmware upgrade
    http://www.lge.com/us/support/produ...=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile

I can't find a date for the firmware nor what problems it fixes.

On the LG site, this is given for firmware updates instructions.
    bold added by me.
    Since your problem is the drive won't write to DVDs with the included software, upgrading the firmware is not recommended to fix this problem.

Does your friend have the same model LG as you? If so, I'd call the LG support number, tell them the problem and ask if the firmware ver. DL13 fixes this problem.

I have used this tool http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
    When run, it displays the drives read and write speeds but most importantly, it will display the firmware version the drive is using. This will let you know what firmware you are currently using.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

using the fix it button/image will make sure you don't accidentally remove the wrong registry entry. This has solved the same issue that you are having for me, even tho the title says, either the drive is missing, or not recognized.

8. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

Hi,

I have run the Nero Tool and the firmware installed is DL11. I ran the firmware update to D13 and am still having the same problem. I am now in the process of running the KB Fix It tool and will let you know if that works.

Many thanks..you guys are great.

9. ITgirl

ITgirl Private E-2

I have tried the registry fix and still no joy. I've also uninstalled the driver and re-installed the newly updated drivers, no joy. Any other ideas?

10. 2twiztid

2twiztid Private E-2

You may have to also reinstall your burning software. I also had to do this.

-Twisted

11. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

is it possible to try using a different brand of dvds? have you been able to use the same one(s) you are using now in the past? or use different burning software?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds