Changing the default "My Music" folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Diet of Nothing, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Diet of Nothing

Diet of Nothing Private E-2

I would like to make the "My Music" folder on my computer 'point' to a different folder.

We have all of our music ripped to mp3 and stored on a hard drive which is shared over the network. The hard drive is actually physically in my computer. I want to make the "My Music" folder point to a folder on this hard drive.

I am running Windows XP.

What I'm hoping is that there is something in Windows similar to the "ln -s" (symbolic link) command in Linux.

Thanks

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Thats a really good question. I hope someone has answer, I'd like to know myself.

3. MechGeek

MechGeek Private First Class

I don't know how to manually do it but you can get the MS XP powertoy tweak UI and it will let you reset your designated system folders to new folders, among the various other things it will let you do.
    To accomplish this once you have installed it, open it, click on my computer, it will expand and you will see a listing for special folders. You can then change the location.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds