ATI Radeon HD 5450 driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 12, 2011.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I received an error message that this had stopped working , screen flashed, then it said it recovered.
    It happend twice more so I called Dell.
    A tech uninstalled the driver and installed another. The next day I noticed the
    Catalsyt Control Center was not responding so another tech performed the same task as the previous tech but downloaded a different driver.
    This failed to get the Control Center to respond.
    A supervisor took over and he too installed a third driver, however, he then realized that AMD did not have a driver upgrade for this driver so went to the Dell site and reinstalled the original. He went to the AMD site to install the Catalyst Control Center.
    I know the card is not expensive but is there a way I can improve upon this situation?(I do not know if it can be replaced).
    Thank you

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Personally I would do a full clean uninstall of the driver and then re-install the driver from AMD ATi HERE (note for the Catalyst Control Centre to work properly you need .Net 3.5 at least installed, may work with lower version but 3.5 shoudl suffice)

Instructions for removal below....

Would have linked to the exact driver but you didnt leave what Windows version you are using and if its 32/64bit, but the ATi link is self explanitory as to choose Desktop Graphics > Radeon HD Series > Radeon HD5xxx series PCIe and then your Windows version.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi David
    As a relative novice, I am somewhat cofused.
    If you read my post where it says a supervisor took over, he did exactly what you are suggesting - to a T.
    The missing link is why he said that was an error with that course of actionand then went to the Dell site.
    I sent a PrtScn you may want to check regarding the net 3.5. I hope it is what you are referring to.
    My machine is working ok now and I hope it continues to do so using the driver that was recently installed from Dell.
    While I do respect your expertise, I wonder why he did what you are suggesting then reversed himself.
    I have your information here at the forum and will turn to it if I have trouble.
    I do know that he lost the Catalyst Control Center in doing so.
    They were trying to say the driver display failing is strictly software but I now have them admitting it is a combo of hard and software.
    Thank you for your help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Did he use Driver Sweeper?

Dunno why he reversed his train of thought, a default driver off the Dell site as your PC is a Dell may be a slightly different one than that of the ones supplied by Ati directly, the problme maybe that with the Dell sourced driver is that it may not come with the CCC panel.

While .Net may list in the options it may also be corrupt and causing software issues, so I'm a bit in the middle of suggesting anything at present while you're PC is working ok, but my train of thought is to re-install the Catalyst Control Centre and see how that works, if you list the Windows version and bit type I can direct link you to the CCC installer only, it doesnt change the driver just installs the panel.

But I'm still inclined to leave be for now, but your choice.

if they are admitting its hardware then it would be a case for a new PC??

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David -I just recognized u from the old H--O name.
    Please note my attachment that lists three driver versions.
    I wish to follow your directions yet need to compile my information correctly before diving in.
    Also, would Revo be better than add/remove?
    At the Amd site I can follow 1-desktop,2-Radeon HD,3-5xxx, 4-Win 7 64 bit but then am unsure where to go -Is it the first or second 11.1 version?
    Any special item to look for in Driver Sweeper or is it obvious?
    Once I compile a list of specifics I will give it a go.
    You know Dell -they will say it is a combo of software and hardware as the driver tells the O.S. what the hardware should do but regarding a new pc; it would be 49 -51 % me owning the 49%.
    To obtain the CCC would I go to individual downloads at AMD and choose 11.1?
    Btw, the CCC lists the version of the driver I have installed from the Dell site.
    Hope u had a good trip - talk soon.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Could you please tell me if I use the first version 11.1 or the second?
    Thank you

7. DavidGP

Hi Peter

That last image of yours shows the CCC working, is it working ok or do some of the options not work?

These days grahic drivers have a few different components that list differerent versions, see my nvidia driver below
    [​IMG]

To just get the CCC software, click the Individual Downloads tab, then choose the the third one down.

Do let us know what version of Windows 7 this is, in that is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes you can use Revo in lieu of Add/Remove.

DO also let us know what items if any in Device Manager have a yellow ! mark by them?

If the main graphic driver si working ok and your screen resolution is ok and its just the CCC thats faulty then ignore DriverSweeper for now and just try re-installing the CCC

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi David
    A- Please see my post of yesterday 9:20.
    1-Previously you wrote: Desktop Graphics > Radeon HD Series > Radeon HD5xxx series PCIe and then your Windows version.
    2-I wrote;There are two versions labaeled 11.1. The second says, "Catalyst Software Suite with APP removed (64 bit) English Only". Is this the one I use?
    B- I attached my CCC but will probably not use it as I do not at this point understand it.
    C- I have Win 7 Home premium 64 bit
    D- Device manager has no yellow exlamaton marks in it.
    E- It seems at this point that my screen dispaly is fine and the CCC responds to tics(although as I stated it is not something I am familiar with now)
    F- The 8.74 is common to both the device manager driver and the Driver Packaging Version 8.74 shown in CCC. I hope that is positively meaningful in that there is a functional correlation between the two, or, in other words, the CCC is appropriate for this diplay driver.
    I do have all of your notes except the version listed in A2 above.
    G-Many thanks for your continued support
    Peter

9. DavidGP

Hi Peter

I do read all of the posts, although 9:20 to you is a different time to me as I'm likely 6-8hrs ahead of you.

But as the CCC panel seems to open ok, I would leave be and especially as your graphics resolution looks ok.

But to answer A2 - no, need to click as mentioned in post #7
    Just need to on the downloads page for the Radeon HD 5xxx page click Individual Downloads and its the third one down, not the Catalyst Software Suite with APP removed (64 bit) English Only which is on the AMD Catalyst Packages tab page.

But I would leave alone as the CCC opens or seems to from your screenshot opens ok, and if your not having any issues at present then leave alone.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    So to get CCC use the individual downloads and the third one down.

The two top Catalyst Sofware Suites are similiar. Both are 11.2 and 2/15.
    The first is 93.5 MB and the 2nd is 74 MB. The second has the app removed.
    If I were to remove all ATI and reinstall, which of these would I select.
    I am leaving all alone but like to keep notes for future refence.
    Once I know which to select, we should have resolved another issue.
    I guess I say good evening as you have had your afternoon.
    Peter

11. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Yes individual CCC is third one down.

If you where to remove all at some point, I would install the top one, which covers all the driver components, but if you are to remove, do remember my earlier post about using DriverSweeper to clean out all the left overs, and do this from safe mode.

Hahhaa on evening ;) yeah time differences and all that.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you, David, and look forward to chatting again.
    I'm a bit happy now as my third cancer surgery turned out to be best case scenario, if you must have the disease. I would be a poor organ donor as I have only a few left.:confused
    Peter
    P.S.
    The two top Catalyst Sofware Suites are similiar. Both are 11.2 and 2/15.
    The first is 93.5 MB and the 2nd is 74 MB. The second has the app removed.
    If I were to remove all ATI and reinstall, which of these would I select.

13. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Well to start with a will say I'm really happy on your cancer surgery and glad all went better than that of worst case scenario :)

I personally would go for the top one as the 2nd one has the app removed which if I remember right is the OpenGL app, and in some cases this is needed by some games, so grab the top download.

Indeed on chat (plus you know my email address if just want to chat *PC questions better in forum for all to see* but a casual chat via email, I'm around most days), you come up with good questions to keep us on our geekytoes.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    Thank you for the kind words regarding both health and the pc.
    I wil enter the top selection in my notes.
    You have spent a lot of time refining this issue or which I am grateful and from which others may learn.
    You are an asset to this forum to say the least. I will remain technical with my questions but may sneak over to your email for a note on occasion.:wave
    Peter

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    Before i uninstall the dislay driver, I need to get an opinion, if I may.
    That warning,"The display driver stopped working but is correcting itsef', occured today so it appears to be once every week to 10 days. It resets immediately.
    One point of view is that drivers do this at times and not to obssess over something that is fuctioning.
    The other way of looking at it is this a new XPS 8100 and this issue is relatively unexpected, considering.
    My shallow experience holds me back from acting and doing something I may be sorry about.
    If I decide to reinstall I will briefly review what I am doing by reading the thread but I am ot sure if I am uninstalling a program or two or a driver.
    May I ask, why am I not going the device manager, uninstalling from there then running the sweeper; or using Revo to unistall the Ati program.
    I am confused as to what I am actually looking for of whicch to rid my machine.
    If I am reinstalling I will compile a how to list here at home to guide me using your tips and the information in the thread.
    The tech who went to Dell did not sweep any driver and, I have a novice's feeling, that oversight may contribute to this persistent issue.
    Have a pleasant weekend and I look forward to your reply , when you have time.
    Peter

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    Please see the attachemnt regarding driver asweeper as I am having trouble locating the buttons to press here.
    It s the first time at the pc where i could not download a program between firewalls, and other things.:-o
    Peter

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi David

I used email because i went to "action center" in search and under each of 5 dispaly failures it said there was a hardware failure.

I shall post this in the forum for continuity.

Now I am a bit shaky.

Peter

18. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Did reply to your email and yes keep the info in this thread as others may have input too on this issue, but and as we now list DriverSweeper on MG the link is HERE for the download

Peter just give me the PC make and model again so I can check if it uses a ATi Chipset driver as that could be something to look out for when uninstalling the ATi drivers?

basically what you want to do to remove all driver graphics card drivers is the below and no more

Do also make as I know you will an Acronis Image backup file before attempting.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Pc make and model = Dell XPS 8100x64 6gigs mem and 1 T Hdrive.

20. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

A tech installed a video card yesterday and today the error that the driver stopped working occurred again.
    I did as you said>remove ATI from add/remove , after downloading driver sweeper and the top ATI suite.
    Safe mode etc and reinstalled the first Suite from the ATI site.
    Two questions if I may;
    1- Why did I not use the device manager to unintsall the driver – was it just for this instance or for every driver you want to uninstall?

2- I used to have a CCC panel which I do ot have because the previous tech got the driver[which failed] fom Dell and the CCC from ATI.
    I now have ATI stream SDK which was installed with the tp ATI suite. It is hard for me to understand.
    Because I never used CCC, for the same reason, and cannot really understand this new ATI stream SDK, is it best to leave this as is and consider the driver installed ok?
    I checked the control panel and device manager and there are no duplicates.
    Thank you
    Peter

21. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

22. DavidGP

Did the tech not re-install the drivers? as that is generally a known starting point when installing new hardware, especially a graphics card, even if the make is the same.

You can use Device Manager to uninstall the driver/s but equally you could also use Add/Remove, but I have found that not all components are uninstalled as these days the drivers install all sorts of addons as you likely have noteced with the ATi listing in add/remove, so driversweeper is a good app to locate and remove all, a sort of driver ccleaner.

Ati Stream is this HERE and allows the modern GPUs to do many tasks quickly as it is working with the CPU as well.

So is the card not causing any issues since re-installing? if not and you dont miss the CCC then leave as be, especially if your PC is working fine and you can run any application or games that need graphical support,

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi David
    I hope my messages are getting through to you as MS has blocked my new Live.com account because I was trying to tell my contacts about the change (a few at a time) and they thought I was a spammer.
    To the point, the tech did not install the driver.
    i followed your instructions and things seem fine.
    I do hace CCC -that was my oversight.
    I understand about device manger and driver sweeper with add remove
    and once again thank you for your help.
    Let us hope tis issue is resolved.
    Have a great weekend.
    Peter

24. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Great on the GFX driver working good so far and X fingers that it stays this way, you could install the CCC standalone option (think I listed it earlier in one post) but I dont think its fully needed.

As for emails, fire me one off when you get time and I will see if it comes through and reply to it, and you have a good weekend too.

25. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David - Please see my last post as I do have CCC with the download. It was my oversight.
    I don't know if you noticed the driver reference from snowfalcon and wondered if you had an opinion in case I bumped into trouble again.

26. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Snowfalcon - I am keeping your reference in mind just in case, thank you.
    Right now things are working well with the ATI Suite.
    But, I wonder if my monitor being 2003 could have contributed to the problem with this 2011 video card as far as driver failure goes? I know the card cannot be maximixed as it was not born when the monitor was developed and the monitor cannot fully understand the card.
    Peter

27. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I had an after thought about the error that the display driver failed. If a machine is constantly connected to an external hard drive for backup, as mine is, could a driver failure in that usb drive be the cause for the error message that a display driver failed?

28. SnowFalcon

SnowFalcon Private E-2

I had to find another solution. It's a pain because its a compatibility issue with Windows Seven.

I was having trouble installing Service Pack one due to somethings I had performed trying to find a solution. I ended up doing a upgrade reinstall of Seven and installed SP1. I also noticed that Microsoft had an updated video driver for my graphic card on my laptop. I'm hoping this will be the solution I've been looking for.

ATI Catalist 10.2 is more stable but continues to give off the error but not as often as it had at first. Make sure you don't make the program compatible with anything or it will continue to give continous problems.

29. DavidGP

This driver couldnt hurt but I would do the usual running of DriverSweeper etc to remove the current driver.

Thats possible, but I wouldnt think so personally, but what connection are you using DVI or VGA?

I note from your email that the Dell techs are coming out to you again and I thought I would post in the thread to keep all the info together as others do like to follow issues for reference.

To answer your questions that you will be likely asking the support line tech, and as they are seeming to be installing a new Motherboard, Ram and Graphics card.... personally I would be asking for a brand new PC if they are changing those parts.

1. Yes they should bring all hardware and device drivers as if they leave you to install your own drivers that is poor, but I would urge you to do an Acronis backup before they arrive, however you do not want to fully recover to this Image file, when they have fixed and re-installed your PC to factory settings (as they tend to do this as a matter of course) as that may add any driver corruption back and put you back to square one.

What I would do is have the Acronis Image as a standby as you can open them up and grab your personal data back out of them as in Documents, Music, Favorites folder etc

You will need to install any applications you have so make sure you have the CD/DVDs they came off or any download installer as well as the serial keys.

But also run Windows Easy Transfer as it backs up your profile and many of the document folders, I tend to use this when re-installing Windows from scratch, but again you will need to install any applications again.

2. I would once they have installed the Hardware and re-installed back to factory settings a new recovery CD/DVD again, as they may just bring different hardware.

3. Microsoft should have no issues recognising your PC and its Licence so you can download any updates, Dell I would ask them if a change of hardware and especially if the hardware maybe different to what was originally supplied will cause you to need a new Service Tag number.

Let us know how you get on Peter.

30. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I'm sorry to be late responding but the field tech showed up only yesterday.
    He istalled a new mobo,new memory, and a reolacement video card -the same one.
    Because the mobo is the same I do not have to worry about drivers and the dvds I created for recovery are as they need to be.
    I have not seeen any malfunctions. Actually with one exception when the screen flicked, the only way I find that there is an issue is when the Action Center advises me about it. I expand the message and create a PrtScn to enter in my chronology.
    The phone rang as I am typing and dell wanted to cose the case - I declined and suggested we wait for a couple of weeks and this is a random occurence.
    I hope this story has benefited someone reading the thread.

31. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Good for you on not allowing Dell to close the case, that would be a resolution in their tech support book, so as this is a random issue, as you say best to leave the case open for a few weeks.

Indeed do keep us upto date with any new issue on this.

32. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

For better or for worse, I will post back after some time has elapsed, to see this issue through.
    Talk soon D.;)
    P.

33. DavidGP

Sounds like a plan Peter :) I'm hoping all is well.

34. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

hello
    I have just read the following," 64bit operating systems don’t allow modded drivers to be installed by default. To ensure the drivers will install on your systems please use ReadyDriverPlus or boot with: “F8 -> Disable Driver Signature Enforcement” on each boot! This will ensure you can use the drivers. If these steps are not followed the drivers will fail to work."

I do not know if this applies to the regular 64 bit system but if so, I have consedered doing so as everything else has failed to stabilize my ATI Radeon HD 5450 display drivers.

I am now seeing a momentary black screen with no lose of data.
    Does anyone have an opinion about this procedure. It seems a stretch that the average consumer should have to perform such an activity.

I also read that since Nov., over 80 million people have Googled this black screen issue.

35. DavidGP

Hi Peter

These instructions are for modified drivers like the Omega set that will have not passed driver signing (hence turning off Driver Signature Enforcement) from either MSFT or the Company as in ATi, but as you are using drivers from ATi those will be fully x64 compatible and wont need Driver Signing turned off.

I think its more like you mentioned in email that the GPU is a really bad one and ATi have owned upto this, hopefully they will change it for a new model. I dont know where to go with advice for you as your PC is pretty stable other than GPU issues, and clean installing the drivers has not helped as did not the Dell tech adding new parts, so I can only think that the issue is hardware and a new different model GPU card is needed to give your PC stability in graphics.

36. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Peter says = I again uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but need clarification about the process. I downloaded the driver and driver sweeper to desktop.
    Tried to uninstall from add/remove but the ATI only allows for repair not uninstall; the "stream does allow for uninstall. So I went to device manager and remove the driver. I then went to safe mode and when I ran the sweeper, I saw no ATI like last time(when add/remove was used). All I saw on top was AMD which may have been what should have used bt was unsure so I just installed the new driver w/o sweeper. There is more stability, BUT, my post has to do with the sweeper.
    Should I have removed stream in the add/remove so I could have seen ATI with the seewper OR should I have removed all of the AMD which sweeper displayed. It also displayed about 7 other boxes like nvidea and others - the question then is, what am I looking for in sweeper?
    Thank you

37. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    I was late editing so here I go again, late.
    I must say I believe I should have paid attention to the driver sweeper's line items such as 'display' at top and other such line items such as audio.
    Therefore, I will go out on a limb and say I should have removed AMD which was listed next to display as it is the display driver I am trying to remove.
    The last time it was ATI but the installation process was different.
    Please confirm my conclusion as valid or not, and thank you.

A side note is to inform you that MSIE 8 and FF have no problem with the forum but MSE 9 still has issues. I wonder if you would like members to just go with the browsers that work, or still try to get MSIE 9 to cooperate?
    Peter

38. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Yes just the display references as your AMD system has an ATi chipset and Audio so leave those ones be, we would just be interested n display, not a major issue if you had uninstalled those as you'd just re-install it but you are good to take it slow and double check.

So your have more stability with the Catalyst driver now?

As for IE9, i've been using it since a beta in the early part of last year and now have been using the Release version with no issues, but if its not working for you at present then stick to a browser that works, the issue could be a 3rd party addon from an antivirus or other app so app stability for different users maybe different.

39. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I would not ask for further clarification but the issue is important.
    I believe you are saying that it is right to remove AMD BUT only from display because although the AMD name is listed elsewhere I am only interested in display.
    Regarding diplay drivers, they settled down since my last reinstallation but I am still pushing Dell for the different model GPU (in a new card).
    It is a rocky road but I am still on their 'shorter' call back list since I have made clear I have names, dates etc in my chronology which my daughter could handle for me. She is an attorney who graduated from both Harvard then Stanford Law.
    Pardon the elitist insertion but I need all the support I can get.
    The drivers behave until I think the issue is rectified then the screen flickers black and returns to say the drivers failed but are now functioning. It has not happend for days now but until the driver reinstallation, it was happpening 4 times a day. I hope they call today but I will keep you updated.
    I will use the browser that works and am glad all of yours function.
    I know it can be a sticky job to trouble shoot addons etc.
    As long as I can get from point A to..... all is well.
    Nice chatting with you as always.
    Peter

40. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Indeed yes you are just interested in anything that is display related only. as your graphics have settled I would leave alone now and if they start to cause issues, you have enough ammunition (so to speak) to insist for IMHO a new version of ATi card.

No worries on the elitist insersion, hell I'd do the same and do ;)

41. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I was about to make my daily Dell call until I read your note and am relieved to take the day off. Drivers have been behaving but then again, I am on the laptop mostly as I can't sit at the desk for a period of time. The Mrs. is keeping an eye on it.
    Fyi, MSIE 9 with the laptop works with the forum so I now know there is an oddity with the desktop.

42. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I'd rather sound neurotic than err so I ask, "Should uninstalling be done in safe mode or before it, for best results?"

43. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Its best in many cases to uninstall the drivers in Safe Mode, however in some cases the uninstaller doesnt allow this, so normal mode is ok, with the first reboot after going straight into Safe Mode then using DriverSweeper to mop up any left over Display/Graphic Card drivers.

A reinstall of the Drivers in Safe Mode and a reboot.

44. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    All MSIE 9's are now working with the forum. Congratulations on a masive job well done.
    Your explapantion was perfect and my notes are being adjusted.
    Thank you

45. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    The problem has resurfaced so Dell is sending a new power supply and an nvidea card 1 GB G force GTS 450 separate processing unit, DVR5, 730 MGhtz.
    I hope this works and told you I would keep you updated.
    Peter

46. DavidGP

Hi Peter

Ok thats good news on them changing some parts and do let us know how these work out, if Dell engineer is installing these new hardware components or not make sure the old ATI graphic drivers are fully uninstalled before switching off the machine to install the new hardware.

47. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I wonder if I should suggest Driver Sweeper and safe mode.
    At least I will be able to politely discuss this with the field tech before powering down.
    I was not aware of this but I understand the logic behind it.
    One should remove drivers first but especially in the a case of a new model card, I would think.
    I really appreciate this heads up very much.

48. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi D
    Tech comes in a.m. + I need to know if the reason there are two displays is because I have not uninstalled the driver yet? I downloaded and was just checking it out for the a.m. This was only a test as I have uninstalled before but never noticed two displays.
    I noticed in the attachment below that there are two displays, AMD and nvidia.
    Do I go to device manager to determine the right display so I do not remove the wrong "display" in driver sweeper?
    Thank you
    Peter
    P.S. I tried to do this from the desktop but neither explorer nor FF would allow me to log in. I cleared everything in FF and rebooted both machines.
    Only this lap would let me log in.
    Is there something I should fix in the desktop to allow me to log in. As you know the machines are almost identical.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  49. DavidGP

Hi Peter

As you have an Nvidia Chipset I just wonder if your motherboard is also setup with onboard graphics? I would just uninstall the ATI graphic drivers and leave the Nvidia ones as the unified (main Nvidia) drivers will overwrite them.

Two graphic drivers mainly from the same provider is not uncommon as it account for the dual monitor capability of the new GPU cards.

50. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    You know my level:confused
    I know this makes sense to you and if I can squeak out a few more decades perhaps I too shall be on to it.
    I think I shall hope this new card works, be able to find the driver if necessary, and if not, go for another machine.
    Don't worry, I won't bother you with all that.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds