Aiming to learn C++, need advice

Discussion in 'Software' started by aenima, Jan 3, 2004.

1. aenima

aenima Private E-2

Ok well im a senior in high school and in August ill be going off to college to major in computer science. My problem is, i know a whole lot about computers in general, but i dont know a thing about programming. So im gonna try to learn as much as i can about programming before i leave to college. What i want to do is find an excellent online C++ learning site for basic beginners with tutorials, projects, and anything else that will help me. Im getting a compiler right now. So if anyone has advice for me or knows any sites where i can learn some basic C++ please help me out. Thanks

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

i've been looking forever for one. I'm starting to think that they don't exist. I would also like a link if someone else finds one.

In the meantime, you might as well look at someone else's code so that you can learn a little from it. Go to www.hotscripts.com to get some code.

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

I don't know of a site, but I was browsing in Chapters the other day and I saw a book for about $50CAN that figures it could teach me C++. It included a CD that I assume was the compiler. Two questions:

Shouldn't the software be more expensive than that? In other words, if I buy the book, will I still have to buy C++ software elsewhere.

I did some Pascal about 15 years ago. Enjoyed it immensely. Is C++ going to be anything like that?

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Pascal and C++ are very different. C++ is an Object Oriented Programming (OOP) language supposedly as an extension to C. The basic concepts of Pascal are similar to C but it does not have such things that are a part of an OOP such as data hiding, encapsulation, inheritance, etc.. I did come across a C++ tutorial on the web some 7 years ago: http://gamesnow.sourceforge.net/tutorials/lang/c++/tutor2/cpplist.htm. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  5. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

6. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Is it the link Maxwell posted (which is broke, unfortunately. Once you try to take the lessons) or do you mean you found one elsewhere?
    If the latter, could you post a link? :)

7. iamien

iamien Cptn "Eh!"

Ok here goes
    I did pascal and c++ one after another, c++ is much more powerfull.
    Good Free C++ Compiler is Dev-c++ compile c and c++, uses MingW compiler and has its own IDE, google it.
    Good tutorial are everywere but i prefer a good book.
    Accelerated C++ is a very nice book <ISBN 0-201-70353-X>
    It will teach you basics and then some, how to use the STL.
    Now, last year i was in your place, Senior high school, goign to a Comp Sci major and what not, and if moneys ab it tight you can find some good tutorials on the web. i can't realy suggest any but they are out there.
    If you have any question about the language, i'll do what i can, but in the end i am realy just a beginer too, learning as much about the language as i can.

EDIT: i must be dumb, another MessageBoard i live at cboard.cprogramming.com has a decent tutorial set up http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html
    Note that it uses depreciated headers,
    ie
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>
    should be 
    #include <cstdio>
    then
    std::WhatEver you are using

this is because the former is the c header files that were used until ANSI C++ changed the libs and you use the namespaces.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2004
  8. frankbaird

frankbaird Private E-2

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  9. Nothing

Nothing Private E-2

I know where your coming from im trying to learn c++ as well im still a junior and all im taught is ms office. I have a cd that i purchased it is a lesson to basic C++ i can email that too you but i recommend looking at the library for books i havent found one either good luck.

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

That link still works for me. However, if you search using Google with the string cpplist you should many hits, e.g., http://fux0r.phathookups.com/programming-tutorials/C++/cpp-tutorial/cpplist.htm

11. ChViRuS

ChViRuS Private E-2

Contrary to what you might think, most Computer Science course actually advise that you DONT learn to program beforehand.

That's kind of their job, and they would like to teach it to you properly. If you learn to code yourself, you pick up bad habits that need to be unlearned.

Having said that, I had been coding for donkeys years before hand, and didn't really find a problem. But that was because I was willing to admit I was wrong in places, and hence didn't mind accepting certain truths (like I must give up certain practices).

Coding beforehand might give you an advantage, because you can set your mind to the task of solving problems within a computer-based domain. However, I think it unlikely that you would glean too much in the short time you have, since you will be spending most of this learning concepts, which are only going to be taught to you again (which can be very frustrating).

So, I would say, go for it, if you want to... but dont feel you should. I honestly dont think you will advantage yourself.

In regards to tutorials: google is your friend. The words "C++ tutorial" might be a good place to start.
    But as people have mentioned before, nothing beats a good book. I hear the "SAMS Teach Yourself in 21 days" are pretty good.

12. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

13. F18delta

F18delta Private E-2

14. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Hey, Aenima.Do you listen to Tool?

15. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

16. dijitolboy

dijitolboy Private E-2

I agree somewhat w/ chvirus. If you're trying to teach yourself, be wary. Syntax is very important in C++...as I'm sure it is in many laguages. But, if you study carefully, you'll have a slight grasp on it for college, which can only ease the burden...although it WILL be frustrating to hear stuff you already know. As far as books go, check out amazon and look into getting "How to program C++" It's straight-forward, and pretty classroom based as far as the order of things you learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2006
  17. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

@dijitolboy ...please do not request that members take support questions private..this totally defeats the purpose of the forum.

18. dijitolboy

dijitolboy Private E-2

:( understood ::appologies:: i just thought it would have been nice for him to have a friend to ask smaller...less "forum worthy" questions about specific apps to. but, won't happen again. :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds