dlink router configuration?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grimmer, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

hey yall,
    anyone out there know where I can find the best security wise settings for a dlink router? I have 4 wired connects and 1 wireless and I'm trying to make my home network as secure as possible. Iv'e set some strong passwords and in the process of setting up WEP for the laptop but I know theres gotta be a way to tweak some of these settings to get this thing more secure, forgive me for my ignorance on this subject but I'm a virgin when It comes to routers :)

As always your help is greatly appreciated.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

First, you have to separate between Internet security and Wireless security, it is two different things.

The first Level of Internet security might be achieved by using Entry Level Cable/DSL Router’s NAT Firewall, which provides very basic protection.

Basic Protection for Broadband Internet Installation.

Each computer on the Network (wired, or wireless needs an additional Software Firewall, AntiVirus, and AntiSpyware programs.

Link to: Assemble a Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection Protection.]

Wireless Security has Nothing to do with Firewalls (the Router’s or Software Firewall).[/b]

Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire, since it is transmitted in the air, it can be intercepted by people in the neighborhood attaching them selves to your LAN (read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal ).

That is why there is Wireless Security, to avoid Local Tapping.

The security of the Wireless is configured in the Router’s Wireless part (Access Point) and each Wireless computer on the network.

Link to: Wireless Security.

3. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

ok I read over the links you sent me and came to the conclusion that I need a new router. The router I have only supports WEP encryption and from what Iv'e read it seems that it's not a secure option. Can you suggest a good router that is at the top of it's game in security? I'm very concerned about protecting my data and I'm willing to go to extremes to secure it even if I have to be called a paranoid freak. I was looking at routers earlier and that stuff just was mind numbing to me all that 802.11 g/n/i/ or whatever.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Wireless security is standard currently the most available now is WPA-AES.

These Routers are Good stable devices, and provide WPA-AES.

This Router for regular use,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162173

This is similar Router with High Power Output for Extra Wireless range,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833162134

However, I would never run computers with real sensitive data wireless.

Wireless computers can be separated from wired computer (with the sensitive data) by using segregated topology.

Link to: Network Segregation - Adding security to Wireless Network (or to any peer to peer Network).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds