question about wireless routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Minus, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Minus

Minus Private E-2

i recently bought a new sony laptop, in the specs it says it has some kind of wireless network card, (i appoligize for my newbie languange, i dont have the exact specs with me right now). Now what i am wondering is what exactly would a wireless router do for me, as in will it allow me to connect to the internet via wireless connection???

any help is appreciated.

2. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

yes a wireless router plugs into the cable or dsl internet connection and allows several computers to share 1 internet connection. if you have a built in wireless card you are ready to go.

3. Minus

Minus Private E-2

thanks
    so im assuming its the same thing with 56k too right?? also what would you reccomend for a good router?

4. Minus

Minus Private E-2

thanks
    i looked at my specs and it says i got a "IEEE802.11b/g wireless LAN".
    now if i bought a wireless router, would i be able to, for example, bring my laptop and router to school or somewhere and connect to the internet (even 56K) without a phone line???

Also if decide to get one what would be a good router to get?

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

A router is used to connect several computers into a network. The network can be used to share an internet connection, files on the computers, or both. The router must be connected to a modem in order to have an internet connection to share, though you could still share the files between computers without it. Your laptop's wireless card can connect to any wireless network that is compatible with the IEEE802.11b/g wireless LAN specs. If your school has a wireless network and allows students' use, talk to the school's network administrator and he/she should help you set up a connection. You don't carry the router with you. I don't believe there is any practical way to use a router with a dial-up(56K) connection.

6. Minus

Minus Private E-2

ok thanks alot thats exactly what i needed to know since i wasnt sure what a router was used for.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds