Recovery Console???

Discussion in 'Software' started by halflin, Feb 5, 2006.

1. halflin

halflin Private E-2

When I boot up im getting an "ntldr is compressed" error that tells me to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del... When I do it just loops me back to where I started.. I researched this issue and lots of people say to boot from the windows xp cd to get to the Recovery Console and type in CD \, then ATTRIB -C NTLDR. The only problem is that my computer didn't come with an installation cd and I don't know anyone I can borrow one from. What should I do?? :confused:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Your in a pickle. You NEED the Windows cd to boot from since you cant get any further. The recovery console is different from DOS, so even if you could get to compact.exe any other way, it will not work. Sorry.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You could try the steps outlined HERE if you have a floppy drive. (This procedure is a last resort)

However, sooner or later you will need an XP CD. Now is a good time to buy one.

4. halflin

halflin Private E-2

Thanks guys.. I guess I'm gonna end up buying an XP cd.. I think they should give you one with the damn computer you buy though.. Ohh well..:rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds