AVI File Wont Play

Discussion in 'Software' started by Global2004, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Hello Everyone. I hope this question is in the correct category. If not my apologies.

My friend works for a TV Station and shot and edited my daughters Christmas Concert. He put it onto a portable USB Flash. The Concert is in an AVI format and is 4.85 GB. It was shot 16x9 HD.

It plays on all his computers at work in VLC and Windows Media Player but when I got it home it wont play in my WMP. I downloaded VLC onto my desktop and laptop and it will only play on my desktop computer in VLC and not WMP. My laptop wont play the file on WMP and with VLC it plays the audio but the video is pixelated.

***I tried playing the file from the USB stick and from the file I transferred to my computer.

Any suggestions. I want to give a copy to my daughters teacher but dont want to give her something that wont even play on my computer.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Global 2004

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. Global2004

Global2004 Private First Class

Hello Foogoo,

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that your advice worked like a charm on my desktop computer. All media players play the AVI file like a charm.

The bad news is that on my laptop the video and audio slowly loose sync in Media Player Classic. It continues to pixelate in VLC but the audio plays fine. Very frustrating.

Any ideas on why this would work on my desktop and not my laptop?

Any help would be appreciated.

Global 2004

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Laptop specs?
    Your laptop may be dirty, have the wrong video drivers, or just not have enough GPU if it is really old.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds