Windows restore point issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by roboman123, Dec 14, 2014.

1. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

I am using Windows 7 and am the only user (administrator) on my laptop. I set my maximum disk usage space for the system protection to be 10%. about 70Gb. I have it set up to restore system settings as well as previous file versions. I can reboot my laptop after I make this setting and verify this.

Every once in a while it will revert to 50% maximum disk usage. I don't know specifically when this does occur and no one else uses my laptop.

Do you have any idea as to what may cause this and how I can prevent it from occurring?

Cheers.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

According to Microsoft:

If you have more than one hard drive connected, make sure the other hard drives aren't being monitored. It should not go to 50%. If the other hard drive(s) isn't/aren't being monitored, I'd suspect something is messing with the settings and I'd head over to the Malware Removal section of these forums and follow the instructions in Read and Run Me First.

3. roboman123

roboman123 Private E-2

Thanks Mdonah. I don't believe I have any malware on my computer, as I have followed the posts regarding it. I also use AVAST, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware running continuously on my computer.

Using CCleaner I noticed every once in a while my startup programs will change for the IE (I use Firefox by default). I have disabled/removed every startup program for IE, but within the last three days, I noticed Windows programs added to the startup routine (I have re-disabled all of them - see the attached file). I also noticed the restore point setting had reverted back to 50% usage setting.

It is interesting to note that whenever I access the System Properties GUI, it is controlled via the User Access Control routine. Is there a way to override this control feature without the Admin User's permission?

Attached Files:

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

According to what you posted, all of the Startup items are Microsoft (Sync for One Drive and MS Office — they're required for One Drive to sync with your computer and for MS Office to work the way IT does). UAC can be turned off in Vista and 7 if you're the ONLY ONE that uses the computer. Go to Help and Support and key in "turn off UAC" (without the quotes). You'll have to restart the computer after doing so. I had to turn off UAC in Vista so I could run Revo Uninstaller in Hunter Mode AND stream Internet Radio stations in Winamp. UAC wouldn't allow either.

I also run Win 8.1 on my computer and UAC CAN'T be turned off in 8.1, only "silenced".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds