Is Avast worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NeoNemesis, Oct 11, 2004.

1. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I finally decided to go with Avast and Zonealarm instead of my stupid norton which hogged everything. It's soooo much faster now. My question however is, should I upgrade to Avast Professional to get the advanced menu. is it worth paying for it? or is the home edition fine?

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I use both Avast and ZA free versions, I dont have any problems Keeping Bug's and crap out.
    I have several rigs that use Avast I also use a couple of other firewall's, I quit wasting money long time ago.
    There are many great free programs that do just as good as the one's you buy, if not better.

I use High speed cable connection.
    I never did like Norton.

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Never had a problem with the free version of AVAST!

Did you do a registry cleaner to REALLY get rid of NORTON?

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Yup! with regcleaner, so much better now! I feel squeeky clean!

5. Robert

Robert Sergeant

When i threw Norton out long ago and despite using regcleaner a search thru thre registry still showed up many symantec and norton entries. So its worth doing that as in my case they just sat there adding bloat to the registry. That said this was a while ago when regcleaner was a freebie - the newest version could have got it all out but I would do a reg search anyway just out of curiosity.
    Cheers
    Robert

6. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

Good point -- with the program "RegSeeker" you can use "Find in the Registry" and you can put in "norton" or something and it will find everything with that word and you'll be surprised what other stuff may still be lurking....it's good if you know shortened names that your software may have used (like nort.exe -- I made that up -- but you know what I mean -- and then you'd search for that too, but be sure you know that you're SEARCHING for the right thing so you don't delete the wrong thing)

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Robert, last free versions of RegCleaner and JV16 on this link.

Last free versions http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/

Be very careful using either, or both, as they are powerful. Particularly JV16.

Have a backup, or restore point set, before playing around with your Regiastry. Bazza

8. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

When my computer starts up avast says that some services could nto be turned on because norton was running, could this have anythign to do with the registry? I checked processes and couldn't get anything!

9. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

This site: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256ab80074194a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam
    is about: "Manually uninstalling Norton AntiVirus 2002 from Windows NT/2000/XP"

I don't know if it will show you something you may have missed doing when you tried to uninstall ...if you had a different version you could search for that and see if it gives you any different advice.
    http://www.symantec.com/search/

10. BLAJY

BLAJY Corporal

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds