Trying to help build "budget" gaming rig.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheComputerIdiot, Jan 5, 2009.

1. TheComputerIdiot

TheComputerIdiot Private E-2

Hello all. New here, and to building computers. I am computer challenged and I am trying to help my brother build a "budget" gaming rig. I have told him numerous times that I am not the one to be asking.....needless to say he roped me into it. So.....maybe someone has some expertise in the area and will help an idiot out. ;)

His budget is $400.....now I know that won't get much but I am just looking to get him a base to expand off of.

I have been looking for a mobo that has good intergrated video/sound(mainly video). but with expandabilty, so in the near future he can throw a video/sound card when he gets the funds. I don't know many reputable brands but the motherboard is where I'd prefer to spend the money, from my understanding this can be the limiting factor to expandibility. right? At first I picked out the DFI Lanparty DK p-35 simply because thats what I have,(and haven't had any problems yet)but I haven't seen any that have integrated video at a modest price. Any suggestions?

Also I have a new Intel processor but no box to tell me what it is. And even if I did know I don't know if its worth using. The number printed on it is Intel E18764-001. Anyone know if it will work for the purpose of gaming? I'm pretty sure its not one to brag about but I guess is it ok to use for the time being or will that be the limiting factor?

If I can get a good motherboard w/ ok integrated video, he can save on the video card for the time being and go with a better processor if needed. Just having trouble racking things to fit that $400 budget because thats gotta include the OS, Case/power supply(atm a 500w), Ram, processor and mobo.

I have DVD-roms and a harddrive I can use. Am I forgeting something?

ANY knowledge in this area would be GREATLY appreciated. I want my brother off my back and in a game. Thanks!

2. TheComputerIdiot

awesome.....thanks.

3. mirack

mirack Private E-2

I could be wrong but I dont think that board has onboard video. Are you sure it is the same model thats in yours? Obviously you can look and see it does have onboard video but the one I found online didnt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136043
    Look at the specs on there. Use newegg, tiger direct, ncis. I am building a system currently and those are the best places IMO, My case, mobo, vid card and ram all totalled 290 including tax and shiiping, and I had the same idea to build a second budget pc with parts I already had and new ones. The biggest hurt in that is the OS, even XP is still fairly expensive considering it is dated. Look around though dont just buy what you see, my case is a fairly decent gaming case I paid about 90$ for. Check my earlier thread.

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is some impressive value setups there ibonkers!

7. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

thank you :)

8. TheComputerIdiot

You just made it easy for me. I appreciate that alot. Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future when it comes time to put it together. But again thanks Ibbonkers and mirack for your insight.

9. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

hope it works out Mr.computeridiot.

Also if your brother wants a gaming rig then a video card is a must have to guarantee he gets a decent FPS ingame. Intergrated graphics is no good for gaming.

But like u said you just want to get a base for him so he can then expand on it so I guess intergrated graphics is good for now.

And a video card I would recommend for his needs is the 9600GSO 512mb..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187055

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds