Please Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbolin06, Mar 21, 2009.

1. bbolin06

bbolin06 Private First Class

I have a hp omnibook 6100. I am trying to update my bios so I can add more memory (hp said to do it cause it will not read my new memory) So I bought a A: drive because it says I need it to update Bios. I downloaded the Bios from hp followed directions and put it on a floppy. I changed boot order in bios to A:drive first but it still will not boot from the A:drive first. it says windows xp startup screen then A: drive lights up then it stops and finishes with windows. I just want to update Bios install my new 512mbs of ram pc-133. I have a
    HP Omnibook 6100 laptop
    256mb of ram
    intel 1133mhz
    xp pro

This is the specs that was on the hp site

Standard Memory 128 MB - 512 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory 1.0 GB
    Memory Expansion 2 sockets
    Model Comments 133MHz FSB
    Memory Comments PC133 SDRAM SODIMMs
    Processor Intel Mobile

HP Omnibook 6100 Specification

Memory Type: SDRAM SODIMM 144pin
    SDRAM SODIMM:
    SDRAM, synchronous dynamic random access memory delivers bursts of data at high speeds using a synchronous interface. Its is actually SDR SDRAM (single data rate SDRAM) but is usually used to referred to as just "SDRAM."
    SODIMM, small outline dual inline memory module. Smaller and thinner than standard DIMMs, SODIMMs are typically used in laptop computers.
    Memory Speed: PC133
    Chipset: Intel 830MP
    Chipset :
    A group of chips that together make up a complete computer processing unit, usually on one circuit board (the motherboard). It may include the main central processor, graphics processors, secondary cache memory, and input-output controllers. Memory is one component controlled by the chipset.
    Standard Memory: 128MB Removable
    Memory Slot(s): 2
    Max. Memory Per System: 1024MB (1GB)
    Max. Memory Per Slot: 512MB
    Dual Channel Memory Support: Not Support
    Dual Channel :
    A development in motherboard and chipset design that allows for increased bandwidth transfer when using two or more memory modules in separate transfer channels. These separate channels allow each module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is a good idea to use matched pairs of modules to ensure the best compatibility for dual channel operation.
    Tri-Channel Memory Support: Not Support
    Tri-Channel :
    A development in motherboard and chipset design that allows for increased bandwidth transfer when using three or more memory modules in separate transfer channels. These separate channels allow each module access to the memory controller, increasing throughput bandwidth. It is a good idea to use matched three modules to ensure the best compatibility for tri-channel operation.
    Install Memory in Pairs: Not Required

2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi BB,

Is the disk you are trying to boot in the A: drive a Boot disk? What disk are you using?

Good Luck, Jim

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. bbolin06

Yes the disk is in and it is a old 4 in square floppy and the bios udate is loaded on it just like it said to the computer just willnot boot from it the way it is supposed to. is there a way i can tell it to boot just from the A: drive and not from the cd rom or the hard drive

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

That should be in your bios
    You should be able to disable all but the floppy from booting by ,putting the floppy first in the boot order then disabling (including boot other devices:if equipped) all other devices. Then reboot and the pc should only see the floppy and attempt to boot from it.( NOTE: Do not forget to change this back after flashing bios or your rig will not boot properly)

Just a note : I usually only flash/update a Bios if there is a specific problem related to it.
    Make sure you have read and understand all steps before beginning.

P

7. bbolin06

I have already set it to start from the floppy first but it loads the windows xp screen then the floppy so it will not read thefloppy first. If there is a way to flash the bios I will but everything Ive read says this is the only way to upgrade the bios. i just want to upgrade/install more memory but hp says i have to upgrade the bios first so it will read the memory upgrade

8. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

That is your boot order... You need to disable all but the floppy( by turning each one to disable) Then save and exit bios( make sure you save the setting to bios before rebooting)

Are you sure the new memory is the right kind?
    That may be true but the order in which they are installed can make all the difference in the world.
    Are you using a mix of memory (old and new chips ) and in what order on the board?
    Are you sure the new memory is the right kind?

You are correct seems like it is alot of trouble just to get it to recognize new memory(unless it is over the specifications you liste (ie: over 512 per slot and over 1gb total)

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi BB,

A bootable floppy would have been formated by Windows using COPY SYSTEM FILES or from DOS using Format A: /S. It would have a visible file named COMMAND.COM and two Hidden Files.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds