Tigertext secure texting but for email

Discussion in 'Software' started by randommayham, Jun 5, 2012.

1. randommayham

randommayham Private E-2

Don't know if this is the best place to post this, but thought I would give it a try.

At the hospital I work at, they use Tigertext (all the doctors and admin) for text messaging, because it is HIPAA compliant.

Tigertext is an app for smartphones that let's you use a secure network, to send text messages which deleted themselves after a certain period of time. Because it prevents patient info from falling into the wrong hands, it allows doctors to use their own phones without the hospital getting sued or find for a HIPAA violation like these guys did:

http://www.hipaatext.com/100000-hipaa-fine-designed-to-send-message-to-small-physician-practices/

What I am now looking for is an email system that I can use with PC and smartphones and tablets, where the emails are on a secure network and will delete themselves after a certain amount of time.

I found out with Tigertext we pay about $10 a users, so I think an email system that cost the same and is HIPAA compliant (Sarbanes–Oxley is similar to HIPAA so that would also work) would be great.

Anyone know of such software?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

PGP & your own certificate is probably the best route if you want to encrypt stuff. I just looked, and there is a free consumer version in the iPhone app store, for tigertext. Really, unless you have something to hide, there really is no need to encrypt stuff.

3. bransonstewlett

bransonstewlett Private E-2

What a coincidence, I was just talking to someone today about patient info and their doctor texting their info to another doctor and if it was safe. looks like it will become a big problem for doctors since these Docs got fined big buck for not using something like Tigertext:

http://www.hipaatext.com/100000-hipaa-fine-designed-to-send-message-to-small-physician-practices/
    “This case is significant because it highlights a multiyear, continuing failure on the part of this provider to comply with the requirements of the Privacy and Security Rules,” said Leon Rodriguez, director of the HHS Office of Civil Rights. “We hope that health care providers pay careful attention to this resolution agreement and understand that the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules have been in place for many years, and OCR expects full compliance no matter the size of a covered entity.”

Looks like they are going to crack down on this, so doctors need to watch out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds