PLEASE HELP ME! desktop.ini Icon Suddenly Appeared on Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by BamaGalJenn, May 15, 2005.

1. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

Hello to everyone!
    I'm new here, & have read through all the threads to see if anyone has ever had this problem. I can't seem to find one though. I have also searched through my Windows help utility, but can't find anything on this either. Anyway, I noticed today that on my desktop a new icon had appeared out of no where. It's a notepad icon & the filename is desktop.ini. I checked under the properties of it, & the type of file is Configuration Settings, & it opens with Notepad. States it was accessed on May 14, 2005. I have no idea why this is there, & I haven't accessed this file & done anything to it for it to appear on my desktop. When I checked in Windows Help the only thing it could show me that has anything to do with .ini extentions are boot files. It showed an example like boot.ini. I have Windows XP home if that helps, & should you need anything else please let me know. Also, I opened the file, & this is what it says:

[LocalizedFileNames]
    Windows Media Player.lnk=@C:\WINDOWS\inf\unregmp2.exe,-4

I tried to just send it to My Documents, but there was already another file there with the same name...desktop.ini. More than likely the one that's in My Documents had appeared on my desktop at some point. I sent it to My Documents since I didn't know what it was, & didn't realize it was something unusual. That was when I didn't know much about computers! LOL! So, I went into My Documents to see what the other said when I opened it. This is what the other says:

[DeleteOnCopy]
    Owner=Jenn
    Personalized=5
    PersonalizedName=My Documents

Can anyone tell me why this has happened, & what I need to do? The only thing I did different before this happened was changed my settings to Show Systems Files that are hidden. I read in the forum here that in order for anti-virus, spyware, & trojan tools to do their job you must allow system files to be seen. I followed the directions, & that's all I did that was different. I didn't even run a virus or spyware check after I did it. I found those instructions under the thread that states to Read First before posting questions. Could this be the reason why this icon has suddenly appeared?
    Any help someone can give me is very much appreciated! I hope everyone has been having a wonderful weekend!

Thanks for the help, & your time in advance.
    Jennifer

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Yes. It is one of many normally hidden system files that you revealed. It is not anything bad. Just rehide the system files or ignore them if you aren't ready to do that now.

3. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

Thank you so much for the reply! I really appreciate your time! Once I hide the files again will the icon on my desktop go away? If it doesn't what should I do with it? If you don't know the answer to this question maybe someone else will. I don't like having a bunch of icons on my desktop, & don't want to mess anything up if it doesn't disappear by itself once I close the hidden files.
    Thanks again for your help!

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Just rehide the system files, and it will be invisible again.

5. BamaGalJenn

BamaGalJenn Private E-2

Okay, thanks again for your help!

6. ultratek

ultratek Private E-2

isnt desktop.ini a virus affiliate...?
    i have been browsing the net on how to remove it...

or is it susposed to be there and i just need to hide system files?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds