Administrator privileges problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ronald_Young_At_RCAT, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Ronald_Young_At_RCAT Private E-2

I have 2 computers. On 1 PC, the UK retail version of Raven Shield and Athena Sword have installed perfectly and work as they should without any problems. On the other PC, I can install Raven Shield but cannot play the game. The error message I am presented with is as follows:

Access Denied
    Please login with administrator privileges and try again

I am the administrator of the PC and am using the only user account the machine.

I have the same problem with Ghost Recon (installed but cannot play). The other game with the same problem is Athena Sword but with this game, I cannot even get to install it. The same error appears just shortly after clicking the setup option, and exits the installer before it has done anything.

I have looked around the internet for a long time trying to find out what's wrong but have had no luck.

I contacted ubisoft support but they said that it was a general Windows problem and they couldn't help me. I obviously cannot afford to pay to ask Microsoft a question so I thought I would try this forum, as you lot have helped me with Spyware in the past.

Thank you.

2. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Any ideas?

Sorry about the bump but I really need help.

Thanks.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Out of curiousity ...if you right click the folder / properties / security ...have you added your user profile? With full permissions?

4. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Do you mean the folder where the game exe is located? Properties of that only has general, sharing and customize tabs. No security. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank you for the reply.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

XP Pro or Home? Log on to administrator in safe mode and see if you have permissions (security) in that folder.

6. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

XP Home. I logged in as administrator in safe mode before and the game still wouldn't run, saying I didn't have admistrator privileges.

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Look for an "adavanced" option on the game.exe. Click on Advanced > Run with different credentials > OK.

Steve

8. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

When I do that I get a different error message saying

Cannot create a file when that file already exists

Great display of grammar once again by Microsoft...

Any ideas?

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

10. Ronald_Young_At_RCAT

Thank you so much Steve. The solution was on that page you sent me to. It was the fourth one down that worked.

4. Check the file attributes of the Safedisc driver

It's also possible that the Safedisc driver has the wrong file attributes set, which may cause the game to fail to launch with the same error. Try the following:

* Open Windows Explorer ("Start" menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer)
    * Go to "My Computer", then "C:", and "Windows" then "System32" and finally the "drivers" folder (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\).
    * Find the file named "secdrv.sys".
    * Right click and choose "Properties".
    * In "Attributes" make sure the file is not "Hidden". If it is, turn it off.
    * Click "OK".
    * Try to run the game.

It was so hard to find anything useful through Google but thank you for finding the solution for me.

:) Thanks for your help.

11. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Glad it worked my friend. :)

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds