Small Gun 'mod'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, May 9, 2010.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Saw some dust covers online, had to get one. And by the way, Picasa rocks for organizing all the photos on your hard drive. :cool

And now I have an extra dust cover to actually mod myself. :-D

Attached Files:

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I thought dust covers were what you put on vinyl records. LOL

Sorry Fred, I looked at both pics and couldn't figure out which was a dust cover. Looks like a gun to me.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Lol, the dust cover is closed in the first picture, open in the second. The old one is above the gun. :-D

I don't really see the purpose of the dust cover on this gun, as it is not going to make a perfect seal. But, the new one I put on today is engraved on the inside. Look right above the M&P-15 writing, and you can see it. The dust cover closes on a hinge, and covers the bolt.

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Even I had to look twice, Fred! LOL Looks like a gun alright. I use a skin-type dust cover for my keyboard, and I really like it. ;)

I think the purpose of it, for the gun, is to keep any debris out, like dust bunnies!!!! You know how they like to multiply :-D Nice that it closes, and covers the bolt, too, because that needs to be kept super clean. ;)

So, you get to mod. one yourself. That will be cool!

5. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

it is called a dust cover, but it is more like a debris and dirt cover. it is meant to keep junk out of the bolt housing when the rifle isn't in use.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

But as my home defense unit, it is 'in use' whenever I am home. :-D

7. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

you know what I mean

8. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I am seriously thinking about buying something really stupid here in a while

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LOL, I am way ahead of you. Getting a used sling for Arf, and hopefully one of those Killer Nic gaming network cards. I hope that deal goes through.

Oh, and ammo. Must keep Arf fed. I love the dang DRS reloads. It is once shot brass, reloaded with Winchester Power Point soft tips. Cheap, accurate. Ammunition.com is a great place for ammo.

What are you thinking about getting? I have been looking at 6.8mm uppers... But don't have the cash for that yet.:-D

10. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

a full on 6.8mm rifle from Wilson Combat or if it comes out before I get the 6.8mm, a HK MR762.

I also have to stop myself from buying a AI rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

crap, link is ammunitiontogo.com :-D

Am looking hard at the 6.8mm...

12. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I checked out the site - loved it. Just placed an order for some 40S&W Golden Saber rounds . . . great price on sale, even with shipping.

Thanks for posting the link.

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Glad you like it Spad. They are a bit slow to ship, but not too bad. I like the Federal .40 180 grain High Shocks.$19 or so for 50.

14. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I did not need to see the ammo site :-D

I do need to order some more .40 S&W ammo though. My cache of JHP's is getting old and I need to just shoot it all before oil fouling of the primers becomes an issue.

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

16. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Well, I typically only shoot FMJ's when practicing due to cost and save the JHP's for actual need. But every once in a while I have to burn through all the JHP's just to prevent oil fouling of the primers.

My HK USP has had around 5,000 rounds or more put through it and is still going way strong :D I do need new sights though.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ahh, my new box of Arf toys arrived today. Got an Ar-15 Armorer's Wrench, so I can remove the suppressor, barrel, stock, pretty much everything. Got me a front sight tower mount, so I can now add accessories, like a sling mount, laser, or flashlight. :-D Got a 'Tactical Latch' for the charging handle. Love this, makes it easier to load with either hand. Also got a Handguard removal tool. This is nice, my gun's manual requires 2 people to remove the handguard.

Oh, and a 1984 vintage USMC Technical Manual. I have to say, only flipped through it, but well written book on how to maintain an M-16. :cool

18. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I find it amusing when they try to use rules and law on types of ammunition,if you use the ammunition to shoot live targets you want the biggest baddest bullet you can get to ensure either a clean kill on game or to disable or kill a man to save your life if your defending yourself,no one shoots to wound so if police have them they must be 'good uns' so everyone should be allowed to have them.

Its similar to the 30mm Apache round supposedly banned from being used on infantry by the Geneva convention,why? War is about killing people as fast as you can before they kill you the bigger and more powerful the round you use the higher chance you have of winning and surviving.

I'm not saying blowing each other apart with huge bullets is good 'although it is lots of fun:-D ' Just the notion that war and killing can be made safer seems ludicrous.

19. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I think the official UN line is that if you get shot by a ball round as opposed to HP you will fall over and surrender, rather than get your chest blown out. That and it is easier to treat people with a nice little hole rather than a fist-shaped hole in them.

As for the apache round, I assume you are talking about the helicopter. They don't need the AP rounds like you mentioned above, as they are designed for, well, piercing armour. For infantry, either HE rounds or flechette rockets are used.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Rikky, the ammo I was talking about is legal, just expensive. Like $8 a bullet expensive. And I don't think the indoor range would be very happy with me shooting it there... :-D

21. Rikky

That's kinda my point,why should civil police be allowed to blow fist size holes in people?Warfare uses much more powerful weapons that the hollow point,it seems backward that these rounds can be used on your own people and not in warfare where your dending your homeland

I didn't mention AP rounds 'with all due respect moderator collins :p' I meant HEDP 'high explosive dual purpose' which are anti infantry and anti armour.The argument made by the geneva convention was that the round exploded inside the torso causing unnecessary suffering,the military argued that the torso didn't have enough resistance to cause the round to explode so they performed a test using a high speed camera,in some tests the round exploded on impact with the torso in others the round just penetrated and exploded in the ground but in all cases there was no torso left to take a measurement of the wound so by right the 30mm chain gun round shouldn't be used on infantry at all.

Another better example are the the clean air laws now in place in our military vehicles,all our tanks have to have a regulated emissions to protect the environment but yet fire depleted uranium from the front,seems kinda silly to me.

22. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Wow, Rikky- you're a walking talking encyclopaedia. Seriously; the stuff you post is impressive :major
    Cheers...

23. Rikky

Its easy to look smart on the internet just talk about the things you know a little about or Google them and pretend your just remembering them.

In face to face conversations I just sit there blowing bubbles wishing I knew what people were talking about :-D

24. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

:-D some how I doubt that. But as mentioned - your posts, gives me food for thought.
    Cheers..

25. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry, I just googled 30MM Apache and the result I got was for AP rounds. :-o Now you have referenced them to the chain gun I understand.

26. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I shoot hollow points in my handguns, and either soft point or FMJ's in Arf.

It does seem a bit odd to try to make war more 'safe'. I think the FMJ round is usually used is that a wounded soldier takes up more manpower than a dead one. Not a pleasant thought, but war is not a social event.

Civilians can purchase almost any type of ammo that is available. But, I would not take incindiary ammo to the local indoor range.

27. Rikky

They said on mythbusters that tracer rounds are illegal over there and wondered if it were true or just specific to states?

EDIT it was the episode when they were tryna cause a gas tank to explode with a bullet,they didn't manage to but after blowing a million holes in it they did set the tank of fire.

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Tracers, legal.

Would I enjoy shooting some sure, but again not anything I would bring to my indoor range. Plus, they are not cheap! :-D

29. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What about mortar rounds? Or 30MM HE? Or Grenades (M203 grenade launcher)

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I would have to say those are most likely not commercially available. :-D Would love to shoot a grenade launcher and a mortar, but don't see that happening.

31. Rikky

Yeah that's something that's on my bucket list,an auto 40mm grenade launcher at some cars or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT698BOmSic

Me and you should plan a trip to an eastern block country or somewhere Fred,a place that has no regulations where the economies crashed and they let you fire off their military weapons to earn a crust:)

I saw a video on youtube where a guy paid $200 to fire an RPG,the locals looked Malaysian or something.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  32. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hell yea! They do sometimes offer full auto shooting around here all along. You just pay a fee, and buy bullets.

Ok, screw it, am going to my local range Sunday. :-D I don't have full auto, but I can crank out 60 rounds in less than 2 mins!!

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

34. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Next payday, the RR 6.8 upper and bullets will be ordered. :-D

35. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I so want to hate you while I fume in jealousy

36. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just doing my part to stimulate the economy. :-D

37. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

I am seriously considering buying a nice Marlin lever action rifle.

Something in either .45-70 or .45 Long Colt

38. Rikky

May as well spread your wealth around before Obama does it for you:-D

39. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

A buddy of mine is trying to talk me into doing Cowboy Action Shooting, but I am quite hesitant. Everyone involved agrees that me, guns, and big groups of people should be mutually exclusive. Throw on top of that, I don't think there is anything local at all.

40. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

"I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo and that is the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones!"

Why not go for a Winchester?

41. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Don't know what they are putting out now, but my old Marlin 30-30 is a great gun.

Where do you find cowboys willing to be shot? :-D

42. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

Price, Winchesters are double the price of a Marlin in the same caliber.

43. Rikky

On a reservation they're called Indians:-D

44. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Good point.

45. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, I am part Indian, and I got guns AND firewater. Bring it on. :-D

46. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

And, I just ordered a 6.8 upper, and a mag. Having hell with the ammo site. Email sent, they will sort it out I am sure. Oh, got a rear site ordered as well.

My 6.8 will sport a scope when i get real money. :-D

47. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

ACOG or sniper, or night vision?

48. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, the night vision ones are cool as hell, but there is no way, at this time I am spending that much cash for a scope! I see some of those are like $7 grand!:cry

ACOG??? American Congress Obstetricians any Gynecologist?? Dude, want a scope for my rifle, not some perverse medical device!:-D

So, I guess more like long range, or 'sniper' type. Xmass bonus is in 7 months... Plus it looks like I might have a part time gig starting soon.

49. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Google Define misses the obvious: Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Combat_Optical_Gunsight

50. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds