rooting a tablet

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by thebatpeople, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebatpeople

thebatpeople Private E-2

In order for me to use the firewall on the Avast app, I installed on my tablet, it says I need to root my tablet. From what I have read, this is not a good thing to do.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting a tablet?
    Perhaps suggest a reliable site to read up on the subject.
    Are there any good tutorials on how to do this?

Thanks

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Antivirus on a tablet is not as critical as it is on a Windows computer because Windows malware will not run on Android. Most malware that is loaded onto an Android device is done during the install process when downloading/installing apps. So I use Dr.Web v.7 Anti-virus Light. It has an outstanding track record for identifying new Android apps that are infected and it only scans apps that are being installed so isn't taking up resources unnecessarily.

Stick to downloading apps from the Google Play Store and you greatly increase your safety from infected apps.

A firewall is something I can't quite wrap my head around for a mobile device. Use a secured network (a password protected Wifi connection) and you should be good to go. But that's just me. Others may have better advice.

Personally I want my mobile antivirus to just be an antivirus. Android already has the Android Device Manager so having remote locating and control is already there.

The rule of thumb on this is. If you have to ask then you aren't ready to root.

Also keep in mind that by rooting you are bypassing a lot of the default security features. Rooting for the purpose of activating a firewall? To me you are disabling more security then you are gaining.

Be sure you are gaining something actually critical to your needs by rooting. You run the risk of bricking your device and you will definitely void any warranty by rooting.

Everything you need to know is at this website. Be ready to set aside some reading time. There is a lot to rooting and it's not a point and click procedure.

There is "auto root" software available but I suggest staying away from those.

For the record I have looked into rooting extensively but have never rooted. The risk outweigh the reward to me. Also if you have a brand new tablet with the most recent version of Android then there probably isn't much advantage to rooting.

3. thebatpeople

thebatpeople Private E-2

Thanks, you confirmed my suspicions about rooting but I still plan on reading up on the subjuct just in case I ever have the need.

4. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Your welcome. There are also a bunch of Youtube videos on rooting specific devices. I tried following along on a few of them but obviously the guys creating the videos have been through the root process many times. Things just didn't work the same for me as they did in the videos.

At the XDA Forums find the sub-forum about your device and you should find information on rooting that device in that sub-forum. Be sure to follow directions for your device and nothing else. You might even start here to figure out some of the terminology and what you are getting in to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds