Microsoft Security Advisory (927891)Fix for Windows Installer

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, May 23, 2007.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Microsoft Security Advisory (927891)Fix for Windows Installer
    Published: May 22, 2007

Today we are announcing the availability of an update that does not address a security vulnerability, but is a high priority for customers in keeping their systems updated. The update addresses the following issue:

Your system may appear to become unresponsive when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows installer, and you may notice that the CPU usage for the svchost process is showing 100%.

When you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update, you experience the following symptoms:

• Your system may appear to become unresponsive when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows Installer.

• You receive an access violation error in svchost.exe. This access violation stops the Server service and the Workstation service.

• A memory leak occurs when Windows Update or Microsoft Update is scanning for updates that use Windows Installer.

• Windows Update or Microsoft Update scans take a very long time, sometimes hours, to complete.

We encourage Windows customers to review and install this update. This update will be offered automatically through Automatic Updates. For more information about this issue, including download links for the available non-security update, please review Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 927891.

Please note that this update is the first part of a two-part fix that is the comprehensive solution to the problem. In June, another update will involve the Windows Update client. The update for the Windows Update client will also be automatically offered through Automatic Updates.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/927891.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891

A note from me is to see both links on how to effectively install this update

2. Is Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803) the newest update for the installer?

Shadow

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i did an update this morning and the only thing i noticed was it did the complete job then started at the beginning again but no problems as such.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Perhaps I should change my handle to Heretic?

I've had automatic updates turned off for the last several years and feel much better and slimmer as a result.

Windows + overeating updates = middle aged spread.

All the users I know who run with updates off find they can actually use their computer.

5. abri

abri MajorGeek

Not heretic. I think studiot is just right. It's possible to turn off automatic updates and take the time to read about each update and install those that make sense for your computer. This would apply to the studi part of your name rather than the iot part.
    <grins> :D
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds