Invalid Boot.ini

Discussion in 'Software' started by Balbanebeoulve, May 8, 2003.

1. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

Well I was trying to install a boot.ini file that would give a customize boot up screen instead of Windows XP, I wasn't sure what to do because I tried some programs and stuff and I ended up messing up my original. Basically anyimt ei start my computer it says Invalid Boot.ini file but it fidns some from C:\windows and loads normally but I get the weird error. If I install the boot screen I want properly I'm guessing the error will go away so how would I install this boot screen:

http://www.themexp.org/view_info.php?id=17174

It comes with its own instructions and the site has its own....well and there are some programs out there as well...but some programs mess it up and some have a little "Pay 7.99 and this will go away" on your boot screen.....

Well if anyone could help thanks uin advance..

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

So you are editing
    C:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    to get a different boot screen.

This works fine, or totally hoses your system. First, get your Boot.ini back to original, you will not need to change it. You can use the command-line tool, Bootcfg.exe too see what you have.
    Typically:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022#Task3
    has some more info.
    After the boot.ini is good, make a DOS floppy with the NTFS extensions, just in case you hose the system.

Backup your ntoskrnl.exe as ntoskrnl.old. Use a hex editor to hack the ntoskrnl.exe. Or download a new one. If it does not work, use the floppy to save yourself.

3. Balbanebeoulve

Balbanebeoulve Bal. Balba. Babalabawhosemawhutsie

Well thanks, I got the boot.ini to work but now I want to know how to have a customizable one...? Like the one in the link in my first post.

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

ERR, you are losing me.
    boot.ini chooses your O/S - leave it alone.

If you want a custom boot screen, re-read the posts and links. You have to hack your ntoskrnl.exe.

Please explain as to a child exactly what you want to do. I will try to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds