Vista to Vista intermittant file sharing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Old Salt, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Old Salt

Old Salt Private E-2

This one beats me.

Two new Vista Home premium dells are introduced into a simple peer to peer network. There were seven XP home puters and two of them were replaced by the new Vista’s. All 7 of the XP’s were sharing files and printers just fine. When I first setup the two new Vista’s they two recognized each other just fine and shared printer’s fine.
    These are connected with a Belkin wireless FSSD7230-4 G router and Belkin wireless adapter cards. The old B standard adapters wouldn’t work with Vista so I had to get two new vista compatible Dynex G adapters. So there is a mixed B/g network.
    I have no problem at all with XP seeing and accessing Vista or Vista seeing and accessing XP but the ability of Vista to access Vista is about 5% of the time. It will decide to access just fine even after a reboot for a half hour or so then it loses the ability to access again. When you click Network places they are all there but when you click them 95% of the time the green bar just slowly moves across the top and eventually one of several different messages comes up such as not sufficient permissions or the path is wrong… The messages vary. If you try to diagnose the problem it says to reset the adapter and usually it says that it was successful but you still cannot access the other vista puter.
    Usually you can ping each other but frequently even when you can ping the other and see it in Network places you can still not access it. I just get that endless green bar and a varying message.
    Around 5 % of the time it will suddenly access very quickly with suddenly no problem.
    We tried replacing the adapter with new Belkin ones with no results.
    I have disabled all firewalls and all security features with no luck.
    Are there just to many computers for a peer to peer and if so why does it work sometimes and why did it work when they were all XP Home and why do Vista and XP have no issues which is not the usual problem from what I can gather with my internet research.
    Is this a problem mixing B/G standards or maybe a router problem? All of the firmware are the latest versions. Belkin “Support” claims it is a Microsoft problem and he is probably right.

I could sure use some help on this on folks.
    :confused

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. Old Salt

Old Salt Private E-2

Yeah all of the windows update including SP 1 are done and all is at the latest firmware version. All drivers are fully updated.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Curious.
    If you change the router mode to g only and have only the 2 Vista machines running, do you have the same results?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds