Malware removal looks complicated

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by joyrider6482, Aug 11, 2008.

1. joyrider6482

joyrider6482 Private E-2

So, yesterday - My PC had the Antivirus xp 2008 show up. Tried to remove using the Add/Remove programs and then I had antivirus xp 2009. So, I knew something was up and I was not sure what to do. I have spent the last 2 hours reading through Major Attitude's instruction manual. I have saved copies of the s/w downloads to my flash and will work on it this evening - but it sure looks complicated. Who and how do I get "help" if things go south?

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you stick to the removal procedure nothing can go wrong.
    should you have a problem ask your question in malware and help will come.

please be patient as our malware fighters are under pressure at the moment and will not forget you but it may take a little while.

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's.

At first the read & run me can look a bit daunting

Just take your time and you should be fine:)

4. joyrider6482

joyrider6482 Private E-2

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Looks like I will be working on this tonight. I will certainly ask for help when needed. One question I don't recall - should I start the malware removal connected or not connected to the net?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can do it connected as some of the scans will want to update definitions. :)

6. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

After going thru "Read and Run Me" with several Major Geeks, I haven't had a problem since June! (thanks again Abri... the others who walked me through it).
    Just like bowling... you knock 'em down one at a time (in slow motion:-D) and then you blink your eyes and all problems are GONE!:celebrate
    OK, sometimes more than one bowling pin falls at same time, I mean just take the steps one by one and you don't have to memorize anything...
    Then I got that antivirus xp2008 thing...I thought it was real.. then I realized it was trouble. but I got rid of it in like 10 seconds.
    I guess because I have my system set-up like it should be, I didn't even need help with little ole antivirus xp2008.

7. joyrider6482

joyrider6482 Private E-2

I seemed to have made it through but I still hae a couple of concerns. First, I could not complete Spy Bot. My computer woulddump physical memoy and gave messages like: "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN" and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and some error that would begin as Win32K.SYS. Not sure what this was from.

Attached Files:

8. joyrider6482

joyrider6482 Private E-2

My MG logs are attached here.

So far all seems to be running ok.

Attached Files:

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hi joyrider6482, you really should post those logs in the malware section, this forum is just for intros and such and won't probably be seen by the folk that need to see them.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds