Can't post a reply

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by CarolinaCrawdad, Aug 14, 2008.

1. CarolinaCrawdad

CarolinaCrawdad Private E-2

I'm new to this and don't understand why one is not allowed to reply to another one's thread. I saw Major Attitude's reply in the following post http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118227.

I really don't understand why it would be rude to reply to someone else's post. If that's the rule, then how does one go about asking a question about a post in a thread?? I have visted threads that had good info, but I was unable to ask a question.

How does one go about pursuing a topic in another one's thread??

Thanks in advance. I'm really impressed with what you fellows are doing here.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can reply to any thread except for threads in the malware section, unless it is your thread. You just have to click on post reply.

What is happening that you can't do so?

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm not positive what that comment was in reference to but I think it was a statement about asking a question of your own in someone else's thread. That is considered hijacking here and people are generally warned against it.

The rule of thumb is do not ask a question in someone else's thread. It just confuses the issue. You should start your own thread with any questions and if you so wish put a link to any threads you would like to make reference to.

Also do not reply to threads that are old.

The only replies should be those answering the original poster's question (other than in malware..which as Tim said, you will not be able to reply to a thread there other than your own).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. CarolinaCrawdad

CarolinaCrawdad Private E-2

Thanks TimW for the reply. Before I go there I would like to say you are one hell of a guy for the help you are providing here. I am new to this site but have already seen the commitment you have to assisting dummys like me with some real issues. Kudos to you my friend.

Now back to the issue. Specifically there was a thread in the Malware forum (sorry I can't locate it now) where a member stated he stated he used "other software" to solve a problem. I was wanted to ask him what he used, but could not since it was in the Maware forum. I don't see how starting a new thread would get an answer in this situation. Think about it... he would have to read my new thread and tie it all together, then reply. Also, I cannot PM him since I am new and don't have enough posts. What's a mother to do ??(You're probably not old enough to remember that commercial. Hint, it was in black and white)

Hey, not trying to be a pain, just trying to understand how this sites works.

Again, this site is awesome for the help/advise it is providing. You and the rest of the crew are unreal.

Thanks man,
    JTR

P.S. Thanks to you too LauraR for the reply...

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

What it basically is unless you are a member of the MALWARE fighting team you are not allowed to post in a thread started by another member but if you start a thread in MALWARE you will be given aces to that thread.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I think it was one of my threads in malware...as I recall that specific comment about "other software" ....I declined to pursue it as it is irrelevant to our cleaning methods. It may have worked, or it may not have.....since I have napped since then, I probably told the poster that without seeing his logs, there was no way for me to know if he was clean or not. Then again, I might have just said good luck. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds