Windows Code 39 Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by colliejo, Sep 2, 2008.

1. colliejo

colliejo Private E-2

I have gone through multiple steps to try and correct this problem on my own, but I now have been humbled and am turning to you guys for help.

I am getting the dreaded "Code 39" error on both of my cd/dvd drives. I have tried physically reinstalling the drives, as well as reinstalling them in Windows, and neither helps. Both drives are being detected in my BIOS when I initially boot-up. I have also tried the standard Microsoft fix involving the Upper and Lower Filters. They have both been deleted and still nothing. I am unable to do a system restore for some reason.

I have run SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, MalwareBytes, and ComboFix (which did help get rid of a Malware problem I was having), but they did not solve this problem.

Any help you can provide in this matter is greatly appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Have you changed the IDE ribbon cable? its a possible cause, especially as you have reinstalled drivers and deleted upper/lower filters.

Have to also ask which Windows version, shouldnt make much difference but nice to know if another fix is OS specific.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

4. colliejo

colliejo Private E-2

I haven't tried changing the ribbon cable, but I don't think that's the problem. The drives are still listed when the CPU boots in the BIOS section, just not when Windows starts. I am using Windows XP, with Service Pack 3.

I tried that fix already and it didn't help.

5. mrcooms

mrcooms Private E-2

I am running into your EXACT same issue. I tried all of the regedit suggestions, unsitalled drives, rebooted 50 times... I will let you know if/when I figure it out

6. mrcooms

mrcooms Private E-2

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Fair enough, but do remember the ribbon cable has 80 wires, only needs one to be faulting for the OS not to recognise or access it even if the BIOS does note a drive is connected.

8. colliejo

colliejo Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds