Advice on what to look for on new Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lego126, Feb 15, 2009.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I am going to be ordering a new computer in a few days, and I have been searching high and low for custom built computers. I have found 2 nice custom builders. IBuyPower and Magic Micro. And I really can't chose which to buy. I am configuring the system my self, they will be putting it all togather, and shipping it to me. My budget is around 1200., to 1300 dollars. I am not a first person shooter gamer, so I don't need an out of this world system, (which is very good cause I can't buy one with only 1300.00 dollars!) But I would like to have a good video card,(512 at least on Vid. card) 4 to 8 GB of ram on MB, and SLI or crossfire capable. (just for peace of mind in case say in 2 or 3 years I need to have 2 or even 3 cards) I am also looking for suggestion on whether to go with XP pro 64bit or Vista ultimate 64 bit. I currently have a Howard computer. I configured it and had them build it in 2001. At the time, 512 Ram, 80 GB HD, CD-rw, dvd-rom, P4 1.8, 400Watt PSU, nice ATI AGP card, and a sweet 3 year on site parts and labor warranty, this system was a beast. :) But now, well let's just say it has been outdated for about 5 to 6 years. But all in all, I couldn't ask for a better computer. Never had anything go wrong with, except, for a little problem with the AGP card from time to time. So any advice on what to look for in a good budget system, like MOBO spec, cooling, CPU or PSU to look fors, would be much help.

I alos picked out a complete system, piece by piece, on Tigerdirect, and actually putting it all togather my self, but I was just afraid of buying system components that would not be compatible with the MOBO. (not to mention the 3 year parts and labor from the other two companies I mentioned, and it would come to me already assembled, with the OS and Video card or cards installed. (SLI or Crossfire) As always, thanks for those who read and double thanks to those who read and reply!!

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I can definitely recommend any of the nVIDIA 8 series cards, especially an 8800. I have had this card for a while now and I have found that it is an effective card for media editing and light to medium gaming.

3. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Yeah, that is what I heard. But, I would think a 9800 gtx+1GB is a little better. I am actually going to get 2 cards, running SLI mode. here are the specs, on the card above
    Specification:
    Chipset
    Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    GPU: GeForce 9800 GTX+
    Core clock: 778MHz
    Stream Processors: 128

Memory
    Memory Clock: 2246MHz
    Memory Size: 1GB
    Memory Interface: 256-bit

or I could go with 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video - running SLI mode and the specs are as follows

Specification:
    Chipset
    Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    GPU: GeForce 9500 GT
    Core clock: 550MHz
    Stream Processors: 32

Memory
    Memory Clock: 1000MHz
    Memory Size: 512MB
    Memory Interface: 128-bit

3D API
    DirectX: DirectX 10
    OpenGL: OpenGL 2.1

Ports
    DVI: 2
    TV-Out: HDTV / S-Video Out

General
    RAMDAC: 400 MHz
    Max Resolution: 2560 x 1600
    SLI Supported: Yes
    Cooler: With Fan
    Dual-Link DVI Supported: Yes
    HDCP Ready: Yes

Actually the 8800 is not an option.
    here is the link so you can see the system specs, maybe you can tell me what you think.
    http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=191#header
    only changes I made was upgrade to 4GB ram, upgrade video card, nad upgrade cooling, and OS to a 64 bit os, vista or XP pro yet to be determined.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I don't care for pre-builds, but lots of people get them. I am not sure why you are going to run 2 9800's in SLI if you are not into gaming. You might just want to stick to one. While the 8800GT is not listed in the link you provided, it would most likely be an excellent card for what you list your needs as.

Having said that, that is not a bad deal on a pre-built computer. The only possible problems I see with is your speced PSU is an unknown (could be a POS PSU)! And the RAM is listed as Corsair Value or generic. Of course those 2 issues could be fixed with an email or a phone call to the company so you can find out what they are.

Good luck!

5. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

6. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

yeah, unfortunatly everytime I re-click on that hyperlink, it resets my chosen specs. I did, upgrade to 8 GB corsair dominator for ram, upgrade to CPU fan, and other cooling fan. I said i don't do heavy gaming like Crysis, or Call of duty on PC. But I do play games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Witcher, and other RPG. The ones I play are not as Video demanding, but still require a mid- to high end card. I main reason I am chosing a prebuild, and then upgrading from there is so I am certain that all Major parts are compatible. Thanks for the info by the way. ;)

7. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

Then the 512MB 4870 will take care of mid-high end gaming, and in a few years it should still play mid range games.

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds