WIN XP SP3 - fails to boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by altered2222, Jun 30, 2009.

1. altered2222

altered2222 Private E-2

Windows is giving me an error during the initial boot sequence - even before it gets to the horizontal boot bar display:

"the following file is corrupt or missing

\windows\system32\config\system"

tried running "r" from the win xp install - went to see if the file is there and there are 3 files named system in the directory.

So how can I fix this without rebuilding windows ? also is there a way to get this to boot to do a full data backup (I know daily back ups .. the last is a few months ago).? My data files are on a logical drive different from C:.

The boot fails before it can even fine the USB keyboard drivers.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you don't have your Windows XP install CD, there's not a whole lot that you can do. Microsoft acquired Winternals a couple years ago, and Winternals had a product called "ERD Commander". After Microsoft took over, ERD was available as a free trial. The key word here is "was". I've been trying to track it down, it looks like MS has completely pulled it. The key word here is "completely". The reason I'm mentioning all this is because ERD had some great features: it's bootable, and when you booted to the CD it automatically scanned for and repaired corrupt registry hives (your problem is a corrupt registry hive); it had an option to perform safe system restores to a date created by the regular WinXP System Restore; it has a feature to scan for and repair any/all corrupt system files; and MUCH more. The last 'official' ERD was released in 2007 by Winternals shortly before MS bought 'em out. It looks like MS has a new similar set of tools called "Microsoft System Center". I know very little about it, but there are trial versions available for download. More info can be found at this link. I have no idea if these are bootable repair CD image downloads, and I have never used them. Hopefully someone knowledgeable in MS System Center will post.

If you do have your XP disc, read this guide and follow the steps and it may (or may not) help. Corrupt config\system file errors are very diffiicult to successfully recover from. :( You can also try the steps in this article at the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Read it all the way through and print it if possible. It's fairly involved and if you skip one part, the whole thing won't work.

Good luck!

[dlb]

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It seems that the trial download of ERD (rebranded as "Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset") was available through at least mid-February 2009. Why was it pulled? Who knows. I'm still digging though! ;) If/when I find it, I'll be sure to post!

4. altered2222

altered2222 Private E-2

AH MUCH BETTER..

I had to use the microsoft manual registry reinstall but it worked.!

THANK YOU

5. altered2222

altered2222 Private E-2

Well almost much better - it ran long enough to backup all my data files(!) and then the problem came back. So I'm reformatted C: and rebuilding.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds