black screen with blinking cursor on boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Frerman, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Frerman

Frerman Private E-2

Hi guys,
    A few months ago my HP laptop which was operating Vista had been turned off. When turning it on I got the HP screen appearing but then nothing, the screen went to black with a blinking cursor in the top left hand corner.

I have read a million different things (it's the MBR, it's software, it's hardware, it's a virus...) but to be honest I don't understand much in the computer world and really don't have a clue where to start.

I have been running my computer from a memory stick (on Ubuntu) since then, then brother helped me get that going. This was just meant as a stop gap before a fix could be found but I still haven't found anything and then today I found your forum and thought that you might be able to help.

If you could offer me some advice on where to start digging or if i can do things that can then help you find me an answer then please let me know.

Thanks guys.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, and Welcome to MG! :)

Usually a blinking cursor can be fixed by replacing the MBR. The problem with a laptop is that replacing the MBR means that the special key for Recovery options (F10 or which ever HP uses to load back to factory defaults) will stop working. I don't know a way around this.

Did you burn recovery CDs when you first got the laptop? (You wouldn't be using them now but would need them for a full recovery later since the F10 key wouldn't give recovery options any longer).

If anyone knows of other options I am interested in a work around.

3. techsent

techsent Corporal

it reads like something is affecting the boot process from moving forward.

if applicable, temp disconnect/remove any external hardware (hard drives, monitor, printer, mouse, memory sticks, digi camera, drawing tablet, microphone, headset etc...).

if there's a cd/dvd disc in the drive, remove it.

remove the laptop battery and reinsert it.

make sure that the ac adapter power cord is connected.

power up.

if no go, cold boot into the bios and verify that the hard drive is the first boot device.

try again.

if no go, go back to the bios and rest it back to factory defaults.

try again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds