Constantly getting the blue screen of death.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dagobert, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

I built this computer about a year ago, it's got windows 7 ultimate, 6gb's of ram, i7 processor and an ATI 5850 video card. Everything was working great until after a few months I would get a blue screen of death sometimes. I then started getting it about once every 2 week or so which still wasn't bad. Now since the past 1 month I'll get it constantly during the day. If I open my internet browser when I log into my account I'll get it, or if I'm watching a video I'll get it or if I'm just using skype I'll get it. I thought formatting would help it but apparently that didn't help it either because I still got the blue screen of death right now after a fresh install of windows 7.

Also could it be that the CPU is overheating or starting to die? Thing is I've used the stock fan when building this computer so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this problem. I've also attached the cpu temperature. Now if this is an overheating issue, is my CPU messed up completely now or should I still go and get a better CPU fan. Also would I need anything else besides a CPU fan?

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Stock fans are able to cope with the heat from a CPU and while your temps are a little higher than I would like for me, they are ok.

With your fresh install, did you install all of the drivers for your hardware?
    Did you install any software applications or is this still just Windows 7 and drivers only?

If you can attach a log from the guides HERE this may help track your issue down,

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, temps are a tad high but there's no real issue there. What do the BSOD'S say? Top left e.g xxxx_xxx_xxx_ xxxx and bottom with just what's outside the parentheses to the left e.g. 0x0000007

4. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Do you have any peripherals connected when you get the BSOD's?

Maybe try disconnecting those and see what happens.

Other than that i cannot add to that Augie and David have said.

5. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

I installed the drivers that were on my motherboard's disc, and I think I always make the same mistake as usual and click install all instead of selecting the ones I need. Besides that I installed my video card driver and installing some windows updates when I opened up IE and I got the blue screen. Apparently I don't have any dump file after the error, so I'm waiting to get it one more time (actually I hope don't) and then I'll post it.

I'll have to wait to get it again. Strange thing was I only got it once yesterday unlike the other times where I'm getting it a lot more during the day.

Nah, other than my keyboard and mouse.

6. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Instead of using the drivers from the CD it is better to use the updated drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website. If you cannot find them then post your motherboard model and I will get them for you.

Even if you do find it can you still post your mb's model number so I can look through the BIOS updates.

7. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

You didn't mention your hard drives. You don't happen to have an SSD based on a Sandforce 22xx controller? W/o the recent firmware fix they are prone to BSODs.

Sam

8. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

Thing is this was the first computer I built, hence some of the noob questions. If I don't use the drivers from the CD, how am I to get online and download them from the website itself if I don't use the CD to install the LAN driver? Or should I install that from the CD and everything else from the website? Also my motherboard is a GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0.

Thing is I haven't gotten any other error since the day I started this thread. I mean that's a good sign to me, so I'm hoping that the error I got was just a coincidence.

Nah, no SSD. I even had a hard drive that failed on me once and that was replaced and I still had the problem.

9. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

Ok so I just got the error again, my computer was left on while I was watching a movie on my TV. So I wasn't doing anything and it got the blue screen.
    Thing is it didn't create a dump file, on the screen it said:

"Collecting data for crash dump..."
    "Initializing disk for crash dump..."

And it was like that for a few minutes until I decided to turn off my computer and turn it back on. However I did take out a picture of the number if that helps figure out what's going on. The number before the parenthesis is "0x000000f4." Not sure if that can help figure out what's going on since it didn't create a dump file.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

Thanks for the link, so yeah I did what that person mentioned. I even updated all my drivers. Apparently I had some really old drivers, and I also used memtest86 or whatever it's called. My RAM seems to be fine, I did multiple tests and not a single error turned up on the RAM itself. So far everything seems to work, so it could have been that I had old drivers and that was causing it. Again might be too early to say anything now but I haven't gotten any error's so far. I'll keep you guys updated about it if I get that damn blue screen again. Thanks for the suggestions and help guys.

12. Dagobert

Dagobert Private E-2

Just a little update, ever since I've updated all my drivers I haven't had any problems at all. I think updating them all fixed the issue.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds