computer won't hibernate...

Discussion in 'Software' started by mr_flea, Feb 10, 2004.

1. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I try hibernating my computer and it won't work. It used to work, but now it doesn't, and if it does happen to work, it takes FOREVER!!! The only recent changes I have made that might have affected it is that I trashed the pretty logon screen and went for the username and password boxes. That also changes what the control alt delete keys do, and the shutdown menu. I don't know why it won't hibernate, but something must have gone wrong...

Windows XP Pro

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

just to rule out the easy aspects first, right click on your desktop and pull up the Display properties. On the screen saver tab, click on "Power..." to pull up the power options properties. On the Hibernation tab, make sure Hibernation is clicked.

I am assuming that, since you said it worked before, everything there should be fine.

Does the hibernate button appear when you choose to shutdown your computer?

do you have a screensaver running when it will not hibernate?

please elaborate as to when you notice this, and search the MSKB before Adrynalyne reads this! those poor kittens!

3. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

Another thing that might make Hiberation not work is having your DLL's set to unload directly. At least, X-teq gives that warning.

4. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

The power options are set fine. No screen saver. Hibernate button does appear. What's that again about the dll's? How do I fix it?

5. deyb

deyb Private E-2

6. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

I use x-teq, but if you don't have it, you can find out how here.

7. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

My registry is hacked to bits, including that one at that link. Still takes forever to hibernate... and I only have 512 MB of memory, and while I do stress my system like mad, I don't put enough on it that it should effect hibernation times... heck, it doesn't even use all of it's memory.

8. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

You must have something running in background. Tried Hi-jack this, Ad-aware, or others?
    Run a registry cleaner? I like Tune-up Utilities.
    Heck, I've only got 192MB and Celeron 700MHz. I keep it running slim and trim, and everything seems to run just fine. Even games like Medal of Honor run smooth.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds