Looks like gmail is going public

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by goldfish, Feb 18, 2005.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I got an email from gmail today offering for me to sign up with a free account.

I've already got one, but seems like they are offering all the people who signed up to their mailing list an account. Not long before you can sign up on the main page! :D

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Are there any other benefits to using gmail over my current ntl email account and good old outlook express???

3. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

It all depends on personal preference. If I were you, I'd open an account and just try it. Let me know if you need an invite :)

Steve

4. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

Same here, got my email this morning, I figure the two I've got are enough.
    Now what am I gonna do with the 100 invites :confused:

5. animatress

animatress Corporal

Since it is going public, it won't be long until the spam will start pouring in. Time to put gmail to the test!

6. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

I've got one of mine I've been testing for that, it's doing better than yahoo does

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Well, their method of testing is pretty smart. What they do is send out invitations to "official" beta testers, say 2 invites each. They then have 3 times more users. Then they give out 6 invites to all of those users. Now they have 7 times more users. Then they give out 50 invites to all of THOSE users. Now they have a heck of a lot of users :p

By the time its gone public, they've basically tested the system to the point of it having a realistic load, so they can be pretty sure that all of their "real" users come along to sign up, its not going to fall over.

Very smart indeed.

8. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Since this is about gmail... I have a question...

Is there any way to put graphics on gmail messages? To change font, textsize and style (bold, italics etc). I haven't found that option, and I miss it. Does it exist, and I'm just really stupid? :D Or have they decided on the low budget version...

9. animatress

animatress Corporal

As far as I can tell, it looks like we don't get any goodies yet :( Hopefully they will give us some options soon!

10. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

I sure hope so too, this is one of the reasons why I hardly ever use my gmail addy! :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds